Data Scientist Placement (MINI Plant Oxford) July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where our students really can learn by doing during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibility from the start. That’s why our experts treat you as part of the team from day one, encourage you to bring your ideas to the table – and allow you to really show what you can do.
Plant Oxford is the birthplace and heart of MINI production. Manufactured to individual customer specifications, hundreds of MINIs leave the plant’s assembly lines each day, off to meet new owners in more than 110 countries around the world. Three UK plants have had a part to play in MINI production – Plant Hams Hall makes engines, Plant Swindon produces body pressings and sub-assemblies for MINI and all this comes together at Plant Oxford with body shell production, paint and final assembly.
Data Scientist Placement
The BMW Group is recruiting an intern to join the Data Analytics and Machine Learning feature team based at Plant Oxford, commencing July 2024.
What will you be doing?
- Working as part of a small team, you will be working on predictive and automated operations using Splunk.
- You will ideally have an analytical mind and a computing background.
- Ideally, the candidate should feel confident communicating complex subjects with counterparts in the business.
- The tools and processes used will include JIRA, Confluence and Agile Methodology, etc. Training will be given where required.
- Working towards a Computer Science & Maths related degree (2:2 or higher).
- Knowledge of different machine learning algorithms and experience implementing them in code.
- Knowledge of data analysis and data mining techniques, and experience implementing them in code.
- Expertise in using programming tools such as Python, MATLAB, R and SQL.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following: Linux, Windows Servers, Databases, and Networks.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills.
- Highly motivated and able to work on my initiative.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritisation of a varied workload.
- Knowledge of Splunk would be an advantage.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay - A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract), and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance - Contracted working hours are 37 hours a week with a half-day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits - You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits including access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include; online testing, a one-way video interview, and then a face to face, telephone, or virtual interview with the hiring manager.
We operate rolling recruitment. This means we may close the application window earlier than identified if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed. Please also include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies for a minimum of 6 months after completion of this placement and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com