Electric Vehicle Battery and Inverter Mechanical Design and Simulation Placement Oxford July 2024
At the BMW Group, we believe in creating an environment where you will learn by doing and where you are given your own areas of responsibilities from the start. That’s why our experts treat you as part of the team from day one and encourage you to bring your own ideas to the table – giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do. To ensure that we are continually developing our workforce, we are looking for talented and motivated people who will inspire and shape our future business. Each year we offer a number of student placement opportunities and are keen to hear from you if you are currently studying an undergraduate degree and are on track for a 2:2 or above.
Electric Vehicle Battery and Inverter Mechanical Design and Simulation
You will have the opportunity to work on two key-components of electric vehicles: The high-voltage-battery and the inverter. The battery power- and energy density is crucial for the overall range and driving performance of electrified cars. The inverter links the battery and the electric motor and controls the torque and speed. Developing technologies and products with significant higher performance for next generation vehicles is the scope of our department. We aim to optimize all aspects of a Lithium-Ion-Battery and the Inverter including mechanical, thermal and chemical aspects, therefore in close cooperation with international suppliers, universities, institutes and business partners.
Electric drive trains for automotive applications are facing different technical challenges. These include typical automotive requirements like mechanical fatigue or low weight targets as well as cooling demands and efficiency considerations.
What will you be doing?
- Developing theoretical design solution using methodical approaches
- Detailed mechanical design using CAD as well as the simulation of various components including the cell modules,
inverter components, cooling components and housing parts
- You will further have the chance to manage the manufacturing of prototypes by suppliers, the assembly and the validation
- Finally you will gather all learnings from the validation and ensure their implementation in the upcoming sample phases
- In the process of a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, automotive engineering or similar
- Experience in CAD design preferably CATIA V5
- Basic knowledge of methodical development approaches
- Basic knowledge of FEM, CFD or thermal simulation software
- Professional use of Microsoft Office
- Business fluent English skills
- Enjoys working independently as well as in an international team environment
Why choose us?
- Great Pay - A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract), and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance - Contracted working hours are 37 hours a week with a half-day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits - You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits including access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include; online testing, a one-way video interview, and then a face to face, telephone, or virtual interview with the hiring manager.
We operate rolling recruitment. This means we may close the application window earlier than identified if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed. Please also include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies for a minimum of 6 months after completion of this placement and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com