Finance Placement (BMW UK, National Sales Company) Farnborough June 2024
We believe in creating an environment where you, our placement student, can learn and develop during your time with us and where you are given your own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one; encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and to give you the opportunity to show what you can really do.
Our Summit ONE in Farnborough is home to the National Sales Company for the BMW Group in the UK, as well as BMW Group Financial Services which offers retailers, corporate and private customers a range of customized financial services. Alphabet (GB) Ltd. as a leading provider of Business Mobility Services is also located in Farnborough. We decided in November 2020 to bring together BMW Financial Services and Alphabet to stay relevant to our customers and continue to succeed in a rapidly changing business environment.
Within our self-contained campus, we offer a modern way of working with an empowering office culture, some aspects of which include:
- Our work persona shift – being yourself is effortless and so increases efficiency. For this reason we allow our employees to express themselves through the way they dress.
- Flexible working hours - working flexibly improves mental perspective and increases sustained productivity. This means our leaders maintain balance, not burnout, through focusing on output, not attendance.
- The opportunity to get involved with our continued support to our house charity with a variety of fundraising events throughout the year.
- Throughout our offices there are open creative spaces which hold facilities such as table-tennis tables to encourage innovation and employee engagement.
The Finance department at BMW UK are responsible for all Accounting and Controlling activities for the UK and Irish National Sales Companies of the BMW Group. With a diverse team of around 25 people, we work with all areas of the business to profitably steer the company, and achieve our financial objectives. We are responsible for all operational aspects ensuring the efficient day-to-day running of the finance processes, and accurate financial reporting, both internally and externally. We are constantly looking to increase our efficiency and smarter ways of working.
We are looking for a student to join our Finance team for 13 months starting June 2024. This is a diverse and interesting role where you’ll provide financial process support to the Accounting & Reporting Manager and assist with the management of accounting for BMW UK and Ireland. Our student placement also offers the opportunity to work cross-functionally with the other teams of the Finance department to identify and drive process efficiencies.
What will you be doing?
Provide financial process support to the Accounting & Reporting Manager, to assist with the management of accounting for BMW UK and Ireland, as well as the other teams of the Finance department to identify and drive process efficiencies. Key responsibilities include:
- Participate in the Finance month and year end processes to ensure timely and accurate recording of entries in financial accounting systems.
- Perform daily validation of interfaces into the SAP Finance system from source systems to ensure that information is correctly input in both systems.
- Support Finance projects. This can include identifying potential projects, providing expertise to on-going projects, and taking ownership of projects from end-to-end. In particular, focussing on the areas of process improvement and simplification.
- Prepare the monthly control account reconciliation templates and tracking reports, update of data, and status report to management after the review deadline.
- Support the provision of information as required to internal and external auditors to ensure the accuracy of financial statements.
- Support the Controlling team with preparation of the monthly Management Reporting pack. This includes updating PowerPoint slides with charts/comments as needed for review.
- Act as key contact for SAP users across all areas of the business, supporting them with system requests and providing advice and guidance. This will also help develop an understanding of the wider business and provide a great networking opportunity.
- Act as key user for the setup of new users into the department and maintenance of existing users, including system access, hardware requirements etc.
- Act as key contact for Interns around the business on Finance topics, with shared viewpoints and experiences this will assist the business with the annual cycle of intern turnover.
- Additional ad-hoc requirements as directed by the Finance Management Team.
- Studying for a degree, preferably in a relevant numerical discipline such as, but not limited to, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business, Mathematics.
- Ideally interested in a future post-graduation qualification, such as ACA, ACCA, CIMA.
- Good A-level results and on track for a 2:1 degree or higher, based on results to date.
- Strong numerical ability to understand and check calculations.
- Highly self-motivated and an ability to work well under pressure.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience of using MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Desire to identify and implement changes to improve processes.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 27 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract) and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 37.5 Farnborough a week Monday to Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
- If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
- The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
- We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
- Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
- To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
- We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com