Production Steering Placement (MINI Plant) Oxford July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where you, our placement student, can learn and develop during your time with us and where you are given your own areas of responsibility from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to show what you can really do.
Plant Oxford is the birthplace and heart of MINI production. Manufactured to individual customer specifications, hundreds of MINIs leave the plant’s assembly lines each day, off to meet new owners in more than 110 countries around the world. Three UK plants have had a part to play in MINI production – Plant Hams Hall makes engines, Plant Swindon produces body pressings and sub-assemblies for MINI, and all this comes together at Plant Oxford with body shell production, paint, and final assembly.
We are looking for a confident and eager to learn individual to join our Production Steering team, a vital support function for the wider Painted Body organisation in the achievement of various targets related to volume, cost, and headcount. To achieve our targets, we work closely alongside the Production teams, HR, Programme Planning, and Finance. From day one, you will be a key and valued member of our Production Steering team, offering you the perfect opportunity to not only learn production processes, but to also understand the wider picture of how a manufacturing plant works.
What will you be doing?
- Progressing the digitalisation in Painted Body - In past years, your predecessors in this role have developed and rolled out some BI tools across the plant and are in the process of digitalising the majority of our reports. The aim is to make data from multiple sources available in a clear, concise, and informative way to all levels of the business, assisting them to make correct business decisions based on the data provided. This project is to identify further opportunities for digitalisation by liaising with business partners and sourcing data that will allow you to build a new dashboard, ensuring data will be useful and reliable for the target audience.
- Supporting the organisation and running of key meetings within the Production Management structure on a weekly basis, including cross functional collaboration in line with the BMW Group strategy.
- Shadowing and supporting departmental functions such as Production Steering, Technology Steering, and Product Launch.
- Supporting the activities of Group Leaders in auditing tasks.
- Assisting the Technology Steering role (budget, finance, and target management).
- Leading departmental housekeeping activities such as our 5S process.
- Maintaining a flexible work methodology to allow additional tasks to be undertaken on demand.
Qualifications and experience
- Studying towards a bachelor's degree in Business, Digitalisation, Engineering, or a related field and on track to achieve at least a 2:2.
- A competent user of Microsoft office programmes ideally Excel, Powerpoint and Power BI
- Strong communication and project management skills, both written and verbal, coupled with the ability to collaborate with colleagues at all levels of the business.
- A positive attitude to learning and developing is essential.
- Self-motivated and competent in working both in a team and alone to meet deadlines.
- Capable of adapting to change.
- A full UK driving license is advantageous due to a requirement to move between two Plant locations (Oxford/Swindon).
Why choose us?
- Great Pay - A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract), and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance - Contracted working hours are 37 hours a week with a half-day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits - You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits including access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include; online testing, a one-way video interview, and then a face to face, telephone, or virtual interview with the hiring manager.
We operate rolling recruitment. This means we may close the application window earlier than identified if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed. Please also include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies for a minimum of 6 months after completion of this placement and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com