Prototype Vehicle Steering and Validation Placement (MINI Plant) Oxford July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where our placement students really can learn and develop during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibility from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
Plant Oxford is the birthplace and heart of MINI production. Manufactured to individual customer specifications, hundreds of MINIs leave the plant’s assembly lines each day, off to meet new owners in more than 110 countries around the world. Three UK plants have a part to play in MINI production – Plant Hams Hall makes engines, Plant Swindon produces body pressings and sub-assemblies for MINI, and all this comes together at Plant Oxford with body shell production, paint and final assembly.
To ensure that we are continually developing our workforce, we are looking for talented and motivated people who will inspire and shape our future business. Each year we offer internship opportunities and are keen to hear from you if you are currently studying an undergraduate degree and looking to complete a 13-month placement.
Prototype Vehicle Steering and Validation
We are responsible for identifying problems during the assembly of Pre-Series vehicles and Series vehicles, conducting initial analysis into these problems, supporting the development of technical solutions whilst finally validating the effectiveness of these solutions virtually and with hardware in the series production manufacturing facilities.
We are responsible for
- System integration activities in the engine compartment, underfloor, wiring harness and E/E product integration and for steering all the integration topics in the department such as top issues, testing at proving grounds and management and specialist drive events etc.
- The functional integration of drive and passive acoustics across the entire vehicle.
- Influence of product and process through competent and active participation in the process chain and product line.
- Evaluation of the zero-mileage quality customer-relevant characteristics, functions, features and cosmetic.
- Expert analyses and proposal of immediate measures to solve problems.
- By adopting a methodological approach (PDCA), we are able to develop measures in the process chain to create a sustainable solution for the total vehicle.
In addition, we have a current innovation project to develop Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality as a tool to support engineering analysis within the Quality division, and the BMW Group as a whole. Our team is seeking two interns to join from July 2024.
What will you be doing?
- Involved in planning and steering of all new test vehicles for the department to ensure that all validation activities are carried out by vehicle testing on site and at proving grounds.
- Supporting the quality specialists with root cause analysis and validation activities on prototype vehicles prior to launch.
- Involvement with our VR system for use in quality analysis problems, involvement in current and future production topics, support development of new functionality in VR software, grow the use of VR across Plant Oxford and aid in the training of new users.
- Supporting the team through a variety of interesting and technically challenging projects and provide some administrative support. This placement will give you a detailed insight into product development, quality management and vehicle manufacturing.
- Studying a Bachelor’s or integrated Master’s degree and on track to achieve a 2:2 or above in an Engineering course, ideally Mechanical Engineering/Automotive Engineering.
- A valid UK driving license is essential for this role.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Previous Computer Aided Design (CAD) knowledge would be advantageous.
- Strong PC skills and experienced with Microsoft Office.
- Relevant work experience would be beneficial.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract) and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 37 hours a week, with a half day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits, including access to our Advantages scheme which gives you a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com