Trainee Graduate Certification Engineer Aberdeen 2023
Bureau Veritas is an award-winning employer, our people are trusted and responsible, believing in what they do with a clear commitment to contribute to transforming the world we live in and shaping a world of trust. Bureau Veritas operates in a wide range of sectors, delivering Testing, Inspection and Certification services to some of the world’s biggest household names. With more than 400,000 global clients and a reputation for quality, we are at the forefront of service and innovation.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we have worked hard to create a supportive and engaging working environment, which is open and inclusive and individuals are given the opportunity to fulfil their potential and really leave their mark.
Provide support to clients, via the Senior Engineer; ensuring the initial suitability and performance of the Client’s assets and installations including design appraisal, examination and assessment through all phases of asset life cycle in line with international codes and standards and UK Safety Case Legislation.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Learn and carry out thorough review of design documents (e.g., detail drawings, design calculations including FEA) and material specifications to ensure compliance to the applicable standards.
- Identify and check the safety critical aspects of the design in line with the applicable design codes and standards by running independent design calculations and/or finite element analysis through use of engineering software (e.g., MathCAD, ANSYS).
- Prepare certification documents and provide clear & concise technical reports to clients in line with BV reporting guidelines.
- Communicate with our various clients via email/phone and, on some occasions, in person to ensure the requirements are understood.
- Keep personal competency and CPD records updated.
- To take responsibility for your own actions to support the company in achieving its health & safety goals and environmental objectives.
Key performance measures
- Work in line with the BV Core Values and Code of Ethics
- Compliance with people policies and common processes
- Understand and fully adhere to Bureau Veritas policies and management system procedures
Delivering work in line with individual’s authorisation sheet, except by formal documented consultation and approval from Technical Manager or Nominated Deputy
What are we looking for
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Good understanding and knowledge of sound engineering practices
- Ability to read & interpret detailed drawings
- Ability to use ANSYS, or STAAD Pro, MathCAD or equivalent engineering software
- Good IT skills, Microsoft Office applications
- Good written skills to produce technical reports
- Strong communication skills – ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders.
- Degree in Mechanical/Structural engineering discipline or equivalent recognised experience
- Working towards membership of recognised Professional Institution or Engineering Council (at appropriate level) preferred
What’s in it for you
We offer both core and flexible benefits, a competitive salary and industry leading training and development to support you throughout your career.
Core benefits include twenty five days of annual leave plus gazetted bank holidays with the option to buy or sell up to five days of annual leave each year, private medical insurance, life assurance, professional membership subscription, enhanced Maternity and Paternity leave, Employee Assistance Programme and up to two paid volunteering days per year.
Flexible benefits include Cycle to Work, tech scheme, travel & dental insurance, gym and retail discounts, option to buy and sell holiday and Give as You Earn scheme.