Graduate Civil Engineer (Infrastructure) Edinburgh 2024
From developing sustainable, efficient and resilient infrastructure that underpins our cities to adapting existing infrastructure to deal with the increasing level of climate change. A career in Buro Happold’s Infrastructure team presents a chance to make a difference. We have an exciting opportunity for a talented graduate level Infrastructure Engineer to join our Infrastructure team, based in our vibrant office in Edinburgh.
About the Infrastructure Team
Our expertise ranges from city-scale Masterplanning through to campus and building scale development infrastructure. Our workload is split evenly between development projects in the UK and projects overseas, and our project portfolio and global initiative provides excellent opportunities for international travel. We strive to ensure that our graduates are given the opportunity to work across a varied portfolio of projects to broaden your skills during the early stages of your career. We are committed to professional development and Chartership.
What sort of projects would I work on
Recent projects that our team have led the infrastructure design input for, include:
Buro Happold have provided engineering solutions for a number of key regeneration projects in the UK such as the redevelopment of the iconic Battersea Power Station and Elephant Park in London and Mayfield in Manchester where our infrastructure team worked closely with Landscape Architects to transform a derelict area of central Manchester into the first new public park on the banks of the River Medlock in more than a century. In Bristol our infrastructure team are working on The Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus development which will bolster the entire Temple Meads area transformation, benefitting both the university and the city’s community.
Claimed to be the largest building construction project currently in the UK, our team has been busy with Everton’s new stadium at Bramley-More Dock. We have been working on this project providing all infrastructure design from site selection stage through to our current engagement for the contractor, as their designer. Our infrastructure team are currently also working on the expansion of the All England Lawn Tennis Club Championship site.
In Saudi Arabia we are working on several major developments (regional plans, mega resorts and district plans) associated with the 2030 Saudi Transformation Plan, including the Red Sea Project, AlUla Regional Framework Plan, and Riyadh’s King Salman Park
We recently have delivered two large masterplan projects for Hamad Medical Corporation in Qatar working alongside international architects for whole city districts. In parallel we were engaged on an exciting research project for the same client to define a prototype for the Hospital of the Future.
Sabah Al Ahmad Sea City in Kuwait is an infrastructure project on a massive scale. The project is situated 85km south of Kuwait City and provides 180km of new beachfront development space.
- Currently pursuing or already completed a Civil Engineering degree.
- A passion and enthusiasm for engineering design, sustainability and making a meaningful contribution to society.
- Possessing initiative and able to thrive in a team environment.
- Able to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible manner, verbally and in writing.
- Comfortable executing project deliverables within a given timeframe.
- Able to research, filter and compile information on a range of topics for multiple audience types.
- Actively engages with colleagues on work projects and sees the value of learning from and sharing knowledge with them.
- Motivated and committed to your professional development.
- We are not requesting CV/Cover Letter for the application of this role. Please click “Apply” to review the application form and role specific questions.
- Please note, for some of the application questions, we have added guidance notes - to view these, please hover over the small 'i' icon under the question.
- We recommend you write your answers to the application questions offline, and copy and paste them into the application form once completed, for submission.
What’s in it for you
- Opportunity to work alongside people with different levels of experience keen to help each other out and mentored by subject matter experts.
- The opportunity to experience our culture and value and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large-scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
- Opportunity to be supported (or even join) our Young Employee's Forum in your local office, join bi-annual events/trips, and contribute your experience and learnings to the next generation of engineers through various outreach activities.
- Our Graduate Connect program allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
- We see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
This role is for an Autumn 2024 start.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.