Graduate Electrical Engineer (Building Services) London 2024
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Electrical Engineering at Buro Happold
Our electrical engineers work closely with mechanical and public health engineers to create complete building services solutions. The integration of a successful building services strategy is what makes the difference between a building that is great to look at and a building that is great to be in. It is the building services that bring the building to life and are vital from the conceptual environmental strategy through construction, operation and the lifetime of the building.
Digital buildings and services are scaling in prominence. The world today is becoming increasing reliant on data and our electrical engineering teams use this data to understand, improve and transform our relationship with the built environment.
At Buro Happold our electrical engineers become embedded in the design process. Our collaborative approach is supported by advanced 3D modelling methods, known as building information modelling (BIM), that allow design teams to share an intelligent virtual project prototype.
At Buro Happold we spend time thinking about the outcomes of work. We question what the benefits of our projects to society? Is this project sustainable? is this project healthier and safer for the occupants who use it?
We work closely with Architects, lighting designers, façade engineers, and other specialist consultants to realise some of the worlds most innovative and celebrated projects in the built environment.
What sort of projects would I work on
British Library at Boston Spa, UK - This project will see the renovation of a large multi-storey 1970s collection store and staff working building. The aim is to improve energy efficiency and realise a modern working environment designed to enhance the health and wellbeing of staff. In addition, a brand-new automated store will be created, which uses passive climate control in place of traditional energy intensive methods to preserve the materials inside.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, UK - Our pioneering retractable pitch design ensures the new White Hart Lane Stadium is a highly flexible sports and entertainment venue. This project is the perfect example of Buro Happold's ability to think laterally to find solutions that work for our client. Not only does the new Tottenham Hotspur FC stadium offer fans a better experience and increase profitability for our client, the design has proved so inspiring it has catalysed a wider regeneration scheme across Haringey so that the surrounding area can better support this incredible venue.
Fry Building, University of Bristol, UK- Reinvigorated and decluttered, the Fry Building is now a truly spectacular space for learning. By approaching this historic piece of estate as an asset to be respectfully brought into the 21st century, Buro Happold helped to deliver a facility that will enhance the maths department's standing while reinforcing the University's cultural and educational ideals. Improving accessibility and devising an MEP strategy congruent with a heritage site were were key Buro Happold responsibilities.
What degree would I have studied?
- Bachelor or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Architectural Engineering or similar degree with an emphasis on building systems design and sustainability.
- Proven interest in the built environment and internship experience at an engineering related firm is preferred.
- Interest in the electrical engineering, building design and the impact of the decarbonization of electricity supply.
- Academic research, coursework, or other experience with alternative energy systems and other technologies new to the construction industry preferred.
- Familiarity with BIM modelling software such as Revit.
What would I do?
- Work as part of our collaborative design teams to deliver impactful buildings for a wide range of engaging, high-profile clients.
- Embrace the latest technologies and continuously seek new ways improve the performance and sustainability of the built environment.
- Work in conjunction with internal sustainability consultants to deliver built environments which enhance mental health, wellbeing, comfort and productivity for their occupants through innovate design of electrical systems.
- Design core electrical systems including lighting, low voltage power distribution and communications infrastructure.
- Contribute, in collaboration with specialists, to the design of electrical related systems including fire detection, CCTV, access control, intruder detection and IT.
- Be integrally involved in the implementation of vertical transportation systems by conducting lift traffic analyses using dynamic simulation software.
- Contribute to the decarbonisation of buildings by designing power distribution networks to support low carbon technologies including photovoltaics, electric heat pumps and electric vehicle charging.
- Collaborate with individuals from other engineering design disciplines internal and external to Buro Happold including but not limited to:
- Internally: lighting specialists, sustainability and physics consultants, structural engineers, civil engineers.
- Externally: Architects, landscape architects, sector specialists (e.g. theatre, archive, catering), interior designers.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to enhance computational workflows for electrical engineering through experimentation with cutting-edge design tools, visual programming and the latest software packages.
- Delivery of high standard electrical designs for projects as part of the team including input to reports, calculations, BIM modelling, specifications, schedules and presentations.
- Utilise the Buro Happold graduate programme to enhance your career.
What's in it for you?
- Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
- A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
- Opportunity to be supported (or even join) our Young Employee's Forum in your local office, join bi-annual events/trips, and contribute your experience and learnings to the next generation of engineers through various outreach activities.
- Our Graduate Connect program allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
- We see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
How long does the process take?
The recruitment timeline can vary depending on the role and team you are applying to. Successful applications are progressed to interview stage within 2-3 months from the closing date of the advert, but it is good to know that the whole process can take up to 6 months. We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered, however, due to the volume of applications received and the size of our team, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
This role is for current students or recent graduates for an Autumn 2024 start.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.