Graduate Mechanical Engineer (Building Services) Bath 2024
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
What is Building Services Engineering?
Why shouldn’t your project use high performance, low energy building systems? We at Buro Happold work as part of a global team, balance client’s aspirations with engineering (and often budgetary) constraints, to design high performance, low energy building systems.
We use advanced modelling techniques to analyse the building envelope and its floor layouts. Our innovatively designed systems are then integrated into the building fabric, to create functional internal spaces and balanced, controllable conditions.
To learn more about our Building Services team and further projects, please click here.
What sort of projects would I work on?
Al Faisaliah, Riyadh – Now one of the region’s most celebrated architectural achievements, Al Faisaliah offers stunning, efficient spaces with a high degree of flexibility for the future.
Harvard University Tozzer Anthropology building, USA - The work to renovate and expand the capacity in the Tozzer building provides an additional 29% of usable space, including two new floors located in the upper levels of the building. Now LEED Gold certified, our work has reduced energy consumption by 30%, delivering an outstanding space for learning with a sustainable future.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, UK – Our pioneering retractable pitch design ensures the new White Hart Lane Stadium is a highly flexible sports and entertainment venue. This project is the perfect example of Buro Happold’s ability to think laterally to find solutions that work for our client. Not only does the new Tottenham Hotspur FC stadium offer fans a better experience and increase profitability for our client, the design has proved so inspiring it has catalysed a wider regeneration scheme across Haringey so that the surrounding area can better support this incredible venue.
Plus pharmaceutical, cultural and civic buildings, high-spec' retail, transport hubs and mixed-use schemes.
Art Works, Edinburgh - The Art Works is a new 10000sqm central collections facility the National Galleries of Scotland. A national centre and hub for collections, distribution, research and conservation of national art collections. Located at Granton Waterfront in Edinburgh as part of the Granton development plan and designed to be an world class architectural interest and sustainable development to Passivhaus and net zero carbon targets.
What would I do?
- You will embrace the latest technologies to improve performance and sustainability. Sustainable design is top of our corporate agenda.
- Undertake detailed mechanical engineering building services design and calculations (using both software and knowledge to verify robust calculations).
- Ensuring service and project work are carried out to an excellent standard - within agreed deadlines and within budget.
- Preparation of technical specifications and schedules, design development reports and innovative design solutions.
- Plan and manage input to CAD for production of design work.
- Represent Buro Happold at meetings with clients, other professionals and suppliers.
What degree would I have studied?
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Building Services/MEP Engineering Degree
- Internship experience at engineering related firm preferred, and proven interest in the built environment.
What's in it for you?
- Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
- A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
- Opportunity to be supported (or even join) our Young Employee's Forum in your local office, join bi-annual events/trips, and contribute your experience and learnings to the next generation of engineers through various outreach activities.
- Our Graduate Connect program allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
- We see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
Please see our Early Careers Candidate Pack for further guidance and information.
How long does the process take?
The recruitment timeline can vary depending on the role and team you are applying to. Successful applications are progressed to interview stage within 2-3 months from the closing date of the advert, but it is good to know that the whole process can take up to 6 months.
We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered, however, due to the volume of applications received and the size of our team, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
This role is for current students or recent graduates for an Autumn 2024 start.
A place for everyone
Buro Happold values individual's flexible approaches to working patterns as an important part of the way you work and achieve balance. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Our exceptional portfolio of projects is the result of the diversity of thought, identities, backgrounds and experiences that shape us. Appreciating each other’s differences is key, we want employees to feel they don’t have to mask elements of their identity to thrive.
We are working to change the lack of representation of marginalised groups in the built environment and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Please let us know if there are any adjustments we could make to the application process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can work with you to support you throughout your application.