Graduate Waste & Logistics Consultant 2024
There is an exciting opportunity to join our WOLF (waste operations logistics flows) group. From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. You can be based in either our Bath or our new Old street London office.
Join our Waste Logistics team
No two days are the same in the waste operations logistics flows (WOLF) group. We advise on some of the most pressing environmental and sustainable issues associated with the planet. Specifically, global waste management policy and legislation, materials consumption and waste generation rates, circular supply and demand systems, goods delivery systems, waste collection systems, waste treatment/recovery systems, often in a pre- or post- building planning capacity. In essence we design sustainable waste and logistics strategies for the benefit of future communities.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone at the beginning of their career in the Circular Economy. Gaining experience in the specific and exciting sector of waste and goods management planning. The work involves coordination with many other environmental, engineering and scientific disciplines, becoming involved in a range of projects all with a view to improving the way that people live and connect with their local environment.
To learn more about our Waste & Logistics team, please click here.
Due to continuing growth, we have a requirement for a Graduate Waste and Logistics Management Consultant based in either our Bath or our new Old Street London office, with occasional travel across the UK and potentially overseas.
This is a new position and gives you the opportunity to undertake a supporting role in developing Buro Happold’s WOLF consultancy services. This unique opportunity will present you with the challenge of working on many prestigious worldwide projects and developments that range from new sports venues to entire new cities.
What would I do?
- Contribute to developing creative ideas, strategies and new service offers which aim to better manage waste and products in new developments
- Carrying out studies, research and analysis relating to waste and goods demand and management for specific projects
- Technical report writing including contributing to waste and logistics strategies, audits, site visits and design reports
- Create presentations using infographics/imagery to show complex data visually; and
- Assisting with project management including budgets for specific assignments and projects.
The team has a wide and varied background, and all are qualified to degree or master’s level. A common theme running through the group is that we are all passionate and driven to better manage and reduce the impact of materials used and waste generated by human activities on the planet.
Ideally, you will be qualified to degree or master’s level in a relevant discipline, for example, Environmental Sciences, Waste Management, Behavioural Sciences, Logistics, Geography or Sustainable Development.
However; relevant academic achievement will need to be matched with a demonstration of your passion and enthusiasm for the better management of materials and waste. In addition, you could demonstrate skills and knowledge in:
- Awareness of key environmental issues affecting building operations
- Understanding of population and individual behaviour and its ability to affect strategy and built environment design
- Pro-active attitude in regard to project work and in the support of other job leaders both in office and remotely
- Being aware of timetables for their own deliverables and maintaining good relationships with other stakeholders inside and outside the company
- We support hybrid working however as a professional at the start of their career journey we actively encourage and support working from the office, learning from peers and engaging workplace face to face conversations, workshops and problem sharing.
What's in it for you?
- Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
- A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
- Opportunity to be supported (or even join) our Young Employee's Forum in your local office, join bi-annual events/trips, and contribute your experience and learnings to the next generation of engineers through various outreach activities.
- Our Graduate Connect program allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
- We see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
Please see our Early Careers Candidate Pack for further guidance and information.
How long does the process take?
The recruitment timeline can vary depending on the role and team you are applying to. Successful applications are progressed to interview stage within 2-3 months from the closing date of the advert, but it is good to know that the whole process can take up to 6 months.
We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered, however, due to the volume of applications received and the size of our team, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
This role is for current students or recent graduates for an Autumn 2024 start.
A place for everyone
Buro Happold values individual's flexible approaches to working patterns as an important part of the way you work and achieve balance. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Our exceptional portfolio of projects is the result of the diversity of thought, identities, backgrounds and experiences that shape us. Appreciating each other’s differences is key, we want employees to feel they don’t have to mask elements of their identity to thrive.
We are working to change the lack of representation of marginalised groups in the built environment and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Please let us know if there are any adjustments we could make to the application process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can work with you to support you throughout your application.