Graduate Software Test Engineer Cambridge 2024
The role of the tester is generally a varied and challenging one, and this is certainly the case at Cambridge Consultants. With projects ranging from short 2–3-month technology prototypes to full scale 18month+ product development, the ability to adapt and move quickly is very important to all our test engineers.
With lots of peer support, you will often be involved at the very start of a project, using your analytical and questioning skills to test the various concepts, requirements, and user journeys even before a line of code is written. Working closely with the test and development groups you’ll learn about new products and domains, and you will design and create test harnesses and scripts to thoroughly test the products being developed.
You will have the opportunity to advance your own skills through our testing community and the variety of projects you will work on. Your skills will contribute to help grow and evolve the group.
Successful candidates can join us between May-October 2024.
Type of work
The group carries out test planning, design and testing of all products and works closely with other disciplines to test cutting-edge software, hardware to complete end-to-end systems. Development team sizes vary but all are made up of highly skilled engineers.
As a test engineer, you will need to become aware of all forms of testing. You don't have to know how to do all of them, but need to appreciate what is required, be willing to learn new skills and coordinate getting it done.
What youll be doing
You will be involved in and responsible for:
- Performing tests on existing projects and become familiar with testing approaches.
- Evaluating existing tests for their effectiveness and modify, if necessary, as part of the continuous improvement process.
- The scoping, designing, and maintaining of bespoke test harnesses, including test script creation, and the development of continuous integration and deployment pipelines.
- Delivery of high-quality code, compliant with our internal coding standards.
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager.
As a graduate you will be supported with specific training and mentoring and as your experience develops, you will have the opportunity take on further responsibilities.
What youll be bringing with you
To meet the requirements of this role you will have:
- A good degree in a technical / scientific discipline
- Experience of Python (or other languages)
- Good communication skills, inquisitive nature, attention to detail and a keen interest in technology.
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous although we would still encourage applying without:
- Wireless communications systems
- Issue tracking systems
- Familiarity with hardware such as Raspberry-Pi
- Software development lifecycle
- Continuous integration tools, such as Gitlab or Jenkins
Check out what Life at CC is like along with our benefits below!
- Competitive salary reviewed annually
- Company profit share
- Generous pension
- Hybrid working model
- Flexible working hours and location
- 25 days annual leave plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Comprehensive insurance - Life, disability, private healthcare and travel insurance (business & leisure)
- Enhanced family leave benefit of 13 weeks full-pay parental leave for those that meet qualifying criteria
- Career development and training opportunities
- Social committee
- If travelling to Cambridge by train; Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
- Whilst in the office; Free canteen - breakfast, lunch & refreshments
- A comprehensive relocation package is available, if applicable
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.
Cambridge Consultants is a workplace where everyone is welcome. When the brightest minds come together and feel included, that’s when we develop the most important technology breakthroughs. We believe that diversity can only flourish when everyone feels involved and has a sense of belonging. We welcome and value all people regardless of their characteristics and encourage applications from all backgrounds and dimensions of society.