Optical Support Engineer Belfast 2023
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Scope of Responsibilities
Provide system level pre & post-sales support for CIENA’s Customer base. This includes answering incoming customer calls, testing, troubleshooting and remote technical support for CIENA optical products. An understanding of fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols is essential. Experience with Element Management or Network Management systems would be an asset. Basic understanding of data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks is beneficial.
- Answer incoming calls from our global customers as well as document, validate, and capture adequate information to facilitate a technical investigation
- Respond to customer inquiries and provide remote technical support for issues related to our optical products promptly and professionally via various communication channels (phone, email, chat).
- Troubleshoot and resolve network faults, performance issues, and configuration problems in a timely manner.
- Provide on-call duties 24x7 and/or work shifts, including public holidays and weekends when the business requires.
- Recover information necessary to escalate reported issues to senior engineers.
- Utilize debug tools as well as lab research to advance customers’ technical problems.
- Provide Customer feedback to Internal teams as appropriat
- Contribute to the technical knowledgebase (KCS)
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) from a four-year college or universitywith zero to three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a customer facing role would be an asset
- Foundational knowledge of the operation of fiber optic transport and/or switching equipment.
- Basic problem-solving experience with OTN/SONET/SDH equipment, Carrier Ethernet equipment or associated fiber optic facilities would be an asset.
- Must have excellent communications skill with the ability to communicate in the English language both verbaland written
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Availability for onsite, in-person training and mentoring for a period of approximately 6 months from start date after which a hybrid work model will be possible
- Customer-oriented mindset with a strong commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills with a willingness and ability to learn new concepts
- An understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications and Optical Networking
- System level trouble shooting on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Knowledge of computers, data communications, LINUX, Databases and IP network experience would be a benefit.
- Experience with network management systems would be beneficial
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.