Graduate Quantity Surveyor 2021
The Costain Graduate Development Scheme is an intensive 2-year programme designed to equip high flying graduates with the skills and experience required to take them forward in their career with the company. We expect graduates to rotate after 12 months to another sector of the business. We offer mentoring and support in every area of work, as well as a structured training programme to enable graduates to work towards achieving Chartership with the RICS. Graduates will work on a number of projects around the UK during the 2-year programme, in sectors including nuclear, highways, rail, water, airports and tunnels.
Costain offers a range of exciting development opportunities to accelerate your career and enable you to achieve your potential both during and after the Graduate Development Scheme.
What will I be doing?
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
As a Graduate Quantity Surveyor you will be responsible for a key element of work on a project taking a significant role in technical delivery as well as managing aspects of time, cost and quality and will acquire technical, leadership and project management skills and experience. This will include undertaking the following tasks:
- Subcontract Procurement – assist with and or lead on, the scoping and quantifying of packages of work, collating subcontract enquiry documentation, issuing tender enquiries, analysing tenders including documenting queries and clarifications for the various packages of work.
- Demonstrate compliance and adherence with project and company commercial procedures for procurement and subcontract management.
- Management of subcontract accounts – attend and or chair subcontract award meetings and complete all subcontract documentation to enable execution of the subcontract. Assess monthly applications for payment including undertaking accurate site measures and subject to approval by your manager, issue payment notices with strict adherence to the payment timetable. Follow governance process for instruction of all additional works (compensation events). Assess compensation events in accordance with subcontract to ensure timely resolution. Issue early warning notices. Negotiate and agree final accounts.
- Prepare and submit monthly subcontract manager reports to accurately report on the status of subcontract applications for payment, subcontract liabilities, forecast out-turn cost inc. cash flow profile, change control, risks and opportunities.
- Comply with the commercial timetable with regard to subcontract liabilities, forecasting and subcontract payments.
- Regularly obtain, review and archive all site records relating to your subcontract packages including labour and plant allocations, site diaries, photographs and record sheets.
- Identify and report on change from the target price design
- Diligently use the project document management system Business Collaborator and Commercial Platform to store and archive all correspondence, records, subcontract documentation, notifications, programmes and any other documentation pertinent to the subcontract works.
- Collate and maintaining up-to-date hard copy construction design folders.
- Studying an Engineering degree accredited by one of the major engineering institutions, with the intention to become a Chartered Engineer
- A desire to bring together a range of insights and disciplines to solve challenging infrastructure problems, and to optimise infrastructure capacity and performance
- A desire to earn whilst gaining valuable work experience in relevant sectors
We have opportunities in the following locations:
Please disclose where you'd ideally like be based and we will accomodate as much as possible.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.