Software Development Engineer Internship 2021
Are you excited by the opportunity to pioneer the future of travel? Do you want to redefine mobile travel experiences? Are you ready to fuel industry change and jumpstart your career in Software Development? Expedia Group paves the way for early career talent to go far, fast with accelerated career advancement, unparalleled access to leadership and a culture of exceptional acceptance.
Travel is so much more than simply reaching your destination. Along the journey you will make an immediate impact on reimagining travel by creating new features to go live on our web applications and e-commerce sites, in a way that serves our goal to bring the world within reach. From the back-end supply and database functions, to new user-interfaces for more than 140 branded travel sites, there is no shortage of opportunities for technical innovation at Expedia Group – the sky’s the limit!
Applications to this opportunity are considered for our London office.
What You’ll do
- Designs, programs, debug, and modify software improvements, system components and/or new products.
- Learn to contribute to requirement definition process
- Drive technical implementation at the application/product level for small projects
- We will work together to design, spec, schedule and provide quality implementation of a component or feature
- You will experience the freedom to exercise creativity to resolve problems and roadblocks and provide alternative solutions to a given problem to drive issues to closure
- Support development of documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance
- Collaborate with and learn from all members of our technical staff
- Deliver the codes with high quality, including proper design review, unit testing and integration testing
- Work with other hardworking specialists in the team to develop prototypes to help with new technology exploration
- You will have many opportunities to collaborate and work with hardworking data scientists and move the business forward using novel approaches and rich sources of data
- Teams vary from front end to mobile to full stack and distributed systems to machine learning, using different technologies such as Java, C/C++, Python, C# and many others
Who You are
- Graduating 2022
- Pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in: Computer Science; Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or another related technical field
- Programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Java, C/C++, Python, C#
- Knowledge of data structures, algorithms and OOP concepts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Prior internship, related projects or leadership experience
- Knowledge of: AWS, Docker, Mesos Dropwizard, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Swagger, Kafka, Node.JS, React.JS, Hadoop, NoSQL, Jersey, Jetty, KStreams, Mesos, Samza, Java 8 and Linux.
- Experience with machine learning and/or deep learning frameworks, like Sklearn/Tensorflow/PyTorch.
- Experience with large-scale data processing frameworks, like Hadoop/Spark/Flink.
Your internship will include:
- Dedicated support from your manager and mentor for the summer
- Executive leader talks
- Social, community and learning events
- Relocation assistance, if eligible
- Hotel discounts
Some exciting projects our interns have collaborated on with us:
- Amerigo CLI (Command Line Interface) is one of the front-end interfaces, through which the users will determine functions and features on Amerigo machine learning platform. For example, data scientists can use the CLI to craft a Jupyter Notebook workspace, execute an ETL task, conduct feature engineering and submit model training/evaluation pipelines.
- Amerigo Inference Engine, which provides a self-served approach to allow data scientists to deploy their machine learning models into production with minimal efforts.
- Our interns built out a Vector Space Model using User profiles/booking data
- Many interns have worked to deliver a productive feature to the OneTeam app
You’ve Applied, Now What?
We will review your application and if you are considered a fit, we will invite you to take an online assessment. Those who pass the assessment will be invited for a final interview.
Intern Program Dates:
June 21st – August 27th, 2021
Why Join Us?
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are a global travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and bring the world within reach – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.