Electrical, Electronic Embedded Software Placement Year 2024
Frazer-Nash are a leading engineering, systems and technology consultancy. Through our meaningful innovations, our experts help organisations make lives safe, secure, sustainable and affordable.
In a nutshell, engineering consultancy is all about providing advice to positively impact our clients’ projects and businesses and the wider world around us.
What we do in consulting?
We like problems at Frazer-Nash. Our Electrical & Electronic Engineers work on the niche, the critical, and the novel challenges our clients face today. Our people join us to make an impact on the world and to learn from some of the best minds in the industry. Our people stay with us because they value our highly supportive team environment and the career opportunities provided by our sustained growth.
The electrical, electronic and embedded software engineers of Frazer-Nash support our clients providing world leading design lifecycle support to their enterprise, equipment and plant operations.
We typically work on high end engineering projects either within regulated industries, critical national infrastructure or where there is a real technological challenge such as safety critical system design or production of novel prototypes to demonstrate innovation.
Our Electronic and Embedded Software Engineers provide such services as – safety critical electronics design, rapid prototyping, control algorithm and real-time system development, model-based systems design, FPGA and CPLD design and analysis, hardware in the loop systems, aging and obsolescence support, failure forensics and digital communications.
Our Electrical Engineers provide such services as – HV/LV Design, system and equipment qualification and assessment, equipment specification, power system modelling and analysis, battery storage and renewable energy system design, control & instrumentation design, design assurance (including functional safety), obsolescence and operational technology cyber support.
Is consulting for you? Are you someone who can look beyond the task presented to understand and articulate our clients’ needs?
Are you someone who has a desire to apply their technical skills to tackle problems in new industries?
As a Frazer-Nash Electrical, Electronic and Embedded Software Placement Student you can expect to be tasked on real world problems from the get-go. You will be actively involved in all aspects of the project lifecycle, from eliciting our clients’ needs, through to developing a costed technical scope and programme, to the management and technical delivery of that scope. To give a flavour of our current tasking:
- Design and delivery of the electrical systems at Hinkley Point C Power Station.
- Development of a safety critical control system for next generation wind turbines.
- The concept electrical system design for UKAEA’s next generation Spherical Tokamak for Energy Production.
- Research into the reliability of programmable protection systems.
- Hardware-in-the-Loop testing of “blackbox” unit replacements in support of obsolescence.
- Design of radiological protection systems for European Spallation Source.
- Upgrade to UK dockyard electrical systems to support the next generation of ships and submarines.
- And many, many more…….
As a consultancy organisation we are looking for ambitious, intelligent, organised and inquisitive individuals, who can solve challenging problems.
- A problem solver: with the ability to critically question what you see, to solve problems that build on your technical understanding, and show initiative and ownership for your ideas and work.
- A team player: with the ability to work with supervision and with others with different technical backgrounds.
- A self-starter: with the ability and desire to take ownership of the tasks ahead of you and deliver them to the client, project or team to create an impact.
- A communicator: with the ability to discuss and convey projects and outcomes with internal stakeholders and clients who may be themselves in a technical or non-technical role.
- You will need to be on track to obtain a 2:1 Degree or higher (or equivalent/experience) with a related Engineering, Electrical or Electronics degree.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer-Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.
Our Recruitment Process
Step 1: Application - CV submission
Step 2: Measure Potential - Arctic Shores’ task-based assessment. You will be asked to complete some exciting, engaging tasks which will help us get to know you better! In return, you’ll receive a personalised feedback report.
Step 3: Video Interview - Situation based & technical questions that are related to the important criteria needed to be successful on the role.
Step 4: Final Stage Interview - This includes a final stage interview with opportunity to learn more about what we do.
Step 5: Decision/Feedback - You will receive feedback even if we do not make the decision to offer you the job or progress you to the next stage.
Here's what we offer
- The opportunity to join and learn with a team that’s as driven as they are supportive.
- A competitive salary: [£23,500 pro rata]
- 25 days holiday (pro rata)
- A company that has its heart in the right place and a welcoming work culture.
- Hybrid working with flexibility around life outside of work.
- Company pension scheme.
- Private healthcare membership + wellbeing support.
- Bonus scheme linked into company performance.
- Support and mentoring during your placement year
- Opportunity to fast track onto our graduate programme
- Early career teams and office socials.
And a whole host more...
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply, as we believe that diversity and inclusion are fundamental to creating a dynamic and thriving workplace culture.