Software Engineer Internship 2021
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Software Engineering is core to our business. G-Research develops and maintains an incredibly successful set of research, analysis and real-time platforms used within the quantitative finance arena. We are transforming these platforms from a suite of mostly in-house enterprise solutions to cloud-style distributed systems that leverage the best of open source and third party offerings. Join us to be at the centre of this exciting change and have the opportunity to work with technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Cassandra, .NET Core, Docker, Kubernetes and more as we make this transition.
- 3/6 month summer programme (5th April/July - 24th September)
- 09:00-17:30 working hours
- Based in Central London
We are currently seeking the brightest students to join us for the summer between their penultimate and final year of study. We offer internships lasting between 12 weeks and 6 months.
Joining G-Research as an intern will enable you to develop knowledge of working with successful legacy systems as they are modernised; a highly sought-after skill.
If you’re an innovator, intellectually curious, and want to build world-class software, then you’ll find a home with us. You will be performing a challenging and satisfying software development role as part of an existing team, delivering improvements to our production code. Responsibilities include:
- Enhancing and supporting the existing trade technology platform and associated toolset
- Designing and implementing high-quality code to work with large data sets
- Research on raw data, working with quant teams to ensure data quality and value
- Database design and query performance, optimisation enhancements, where possible
- Maintaining and enhancing existing infrastructure and data processing tools responsible for regular handling of many significant data feeds
- Responding to the ever-changing requirements of the business
Who are we looking for?
Ideal candidates will be strong, competent and practical software engineers. They should be enthusiastic and have a genuine interest in both software technology and the underlying hardware.
Specific attributes include:
- Excellent academics – candidates should be studying towards a 2:1 or above in Computer Science or Computer Science with Mathematics from a top-tier University. You should also have exceptional pre University academics
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language, preferably C#, Java or C++
- Appreciation of good software architecture, core programming techniques and data structures
- Excellent technical communication and problem-solving skills.
- We have a strong preference for candidates who have undertaken at least one development internship elsewhere
- Financial experience is useful, but is not required
- The right to work in the UK
Induction and training
Successful applicants to the internship programme will gain an in-depth introduction to the world of technology within finance, as well as extensive introductions to the internal workings of the business. There is also the opportunity to convert your internship into a permanent graduate role if you impress.
Throughout your internship, you will be provided with extensive support from your colleagues and also enjoy a jam-packed social calendar.
Assessment and selection
From September, we will send selected candidates an online HackerRank test to complete at home. Those that pass this stage will then be invited to a virtual assessment centre on one of the following dates:
- 7th October 2020
- 21st October 2020
- 4th November 2020
- 18th November 2020
Why should you apply?
- Competitive compensation
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
Please note, due to our desire to convert the top of our intern cohort into our graduate programme we are only able to consider applications from those graduating in 2022.