GRAHAM Academy Civil Engineer Graduate Northern Ireland 2024
Civil Engineering is one of the main divisions within GRAHAM Construction. Operating throughout the UK and Ireland, we pride ourselves in delivering value for money and innovative solutions for our clients. We have recently been involved in some of the most prestigious projects across the UK and Ireland, including:
- The iconic Samuel Beckett Bridge in Dublin
- CPC Regeneration Project for Rolls Royce Nuclear facility in Derby
- A6 Randalstown to Castledawson Dualling for Transport NI
- IF019 Framework for NI Water
- Port of Tilbury
- Portrush Railway Station
- Congleton Relief Road, Cheshire
- South Bank Quay, Middlesbrough
- National Highways, South East England (M25 J28 & M2 J5)
As a forward thinking sustainable infrastructure, our core sections being Marine, Highways, Rail, Water & Nuclear.
What does a Civil Engineer do at GRAHAM?
Civil Engineers are creative people who solve problems. They come up with ideas and then turn them into real things for people around the world to use. We are specialists in the innovative resolution of complex civil engineering challenges.
Across bridges and highways, rivers and railways, our deep rooted expertise transforms the rural and urban landscapes where we operate. Whether it is easing commuter congestion or powering renewable energy, we consistently strive to make a difference so that our work delivers lasting impact to millions of people throughout the UK and Ireland.
We are proud of our record - a record that is continuously recognised by the industry's leaders for its creativity, added value engineering and, most importantly, integrity. Governed by sector experts, our people make us unique and provide the practical intelligence to genuinely make our client's lives easier, their projects smoother and implement benefits beyond the brief. A Civil Engineer will:
- Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental and Quality requirements are adhered to.
- Undertake Surveying and setting out duties.
- Plan the work and efficiently organise site operations in order to meet an agreed programme milestones.
- Liaise with any consultants and sub-contractors engaged in the project as necessary.
- Resolve any unforeseen technical challenges and other problems that may arise.
- Undertake the testing and calibration of instruments used.
- Share improvements and innovation.
- Continuously learn and develop through our GRAHAM Academy.
- ICE accredited Civil Engineering Degree or Equivalent.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Willing to work throughout the UK and Ireland.
- Right to work in the UK.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- An appreciation of Health & Safety practices.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Previous work experience specifically in the Construction Industry.
- Able to demonstrate problem solving.
- Commercial Awareness: strong business acumen combined with the creativity and vision to meet customer needs and GRAHAM business requirements.
- Leadership skills: Communicates and gains team commitment to a vision, able to motivate staff and provide direction and vision.
- Effective Communication skills: Able to adapt communication to audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders. Presents a professional image and promotes the Brand.
- Customer Focus: Takes time to question and understand the real, underlying needs of the customer, beyond those initially expressed. Always works closely with customers, developing an independent view of their needs and acting in their long term interest
- Influencing: Identifies and builds relationships with those who will be useful now and in the future in achieving strategic business objectives.
- Initiative: is able to work alone to get results in an effective way. Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes. Adopts and encourages others to adopt new ways of working. Ability to work unsupervised.
- Team Player: Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives. Works collaboratively and uses influence to gain resolution of issues. Demonstrates honestly, loyalty and commitment.
Graham routes to becoming a civil engineer
Our Industrial Placements can last from 3-12 months, dependent on your college/university curriculum. On your placement you will be given the support, guidance and experience which will lay the foundations for a great future in Civil Engineering. This includes a structured learning programme and experience in a variety of Civil Engineering environments. Show us what you can do and your placement could lead to a company scholarship award and an offer of employment when you graduate.
Applications are now open for our 2024 intake and close on 5th January 2024. Please submit a comprehensive and targeted CV, which clearly and logically details how you fulfil both the essential and if relevant, desirable criteria. Failure to provide adequate information, may result in your application being rejected. All applicants must also complete an online monitoring form. We reserve the right to close this advertisement early, should we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
The recruitment process
- The closing date for applications will be Friday 5th January 2024.
- You will be invited to complete an Aptitude Test after the closing date.
- Interviews will commence in February 2024.
- Successful candidates will be notified in March 2024.
- All successful applicants will have joined the business by September 2024, if not before.
- Car Allowance
- Subsidised Private Medical Cove
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Living away from home allowance (where appropriate)
- Contributory Pension
- 35 Days annual leave (Including Public Holidays)
Our commitment to you
We are proud to say that we are a committed Equal Opportunities Employer and we aim to be the first choice for people where everyone is recognised as an individual and where the richness of a diverse workforce is embraced to maximise business performance and to deliver lasting impact.
The principles of Fairness, Inclusion & Respect (FIR) help create a positive team culture, a safer and healthier workplace, more innovation through diversity of ideas and a more productive workforce - everything thrives when we feel valued.
We are only able to consider applications from individuals who are eligible to live and work in the UK, as per Home Office regulations. Please check your eligibility with the regulations before applying, as we may be able to sponsor a work permit on your behalf. Individuals with a current time restricted right to work in the UK, should contact the Human Resources team in the first instance.
A basic disclosure may be requested if security clearance is required by 3rd party clients and a criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to obtaining a position. Our Access NI/Vetting and Barring Scheme Policy and Policy on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders is available upon request.