Graduate Hydroinformatics Engineer 2021
Our People & Places Solutions business – reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the “why” of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we’re integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Water & Environment business employs around 1,900 people with an impressively broad range of specialist skills and provides a focus for our work on flood and coastal risk management. We work both within the UK and internationally to identify sustainable solutions to some of the world’s most challenging water and environmental issues, including developing resilience to flooding both for now and with future climate change.
Technology plays a crucial role in our work on flood resilience, and our growing Hydroinformatics team forms a hub between Jacobs’ extensive domain knowledge and the company’s digital expertise. We are dedicated to developing and applying the latest research and best practice through innovative data analysis, software tools and solutions to help solve the tough challenges that our clients and internal teams face.
As well as being the No.1 provider of flood risk management services in the UK, Jacobs is also a leading product developer. Our Flood Modeller product is used 24/7 for flood forecasting in England, Wales and Scotland, providing early warning of flooding to homeowners, businesses and emergency responders. Our award winning first-of-a-kind Flood Cloud service provides a bespoke ‘Software as a Service’ solution for flood modelling on the Cloud.
About the opportunity
We are looking for a numerate and enthusiastic candidate with proven experience in research, flood risk analysis and the application of technology to solve problems, together with good written and oral communication skills. You will primarily be working on a range of flood and water projects and products, working as part of an integrated, forward thinking and highly skilled team with the opportunity to collaborate with key industry experts.
- Assessing, developing and implementing flood risk, water, economics and asset management methods.
- Applying data analytics and software automation alongside domain knowledge.
- Working directly with internal and external clients.
- Seeking and implementing technical innovation.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for the quality of project work to meet the highest standards.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- BSc/BEng degree (or equivalent) in engineering, maths, science, computing or similar.
- Proven ability in research, preferably industrial research in the flood or water sectors.
- Power user of desktop GIS software, e.g. ArcGIS and/or QGIS.
- MSc/PhD in relevant technical areas will be an advantage.
- Technical expertise in flood risk analysis or CFD, preferably including UK-standard flood modelling software (e.g. Flood Modeller, TUFLOW).
- Effective communication of data and its meaning through visualisation.
- Experience of working with ESRI and/or open source geospatial technology stacks, e.g. ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Portal; PostGIS and GeoServer.
- Experience of scalable data science and high-performance computing in the cloud.
- Have good verbal skills when communicating with stakeholders including technical and non-technical parties – experience of delivering training is an advantage.
- Highly flexible and self-motivated towards improving team and personal performance.
- Have a can-do attitude and can identify and deliver innovative solutions to difficult challenges.
- Skilled at collaborative working, with good interpersonal skills and able to communicate effectively with clients, stakeholders and colleagues.
- A flexible team player, able to work with different project teams locally and across remote teams.
- Commercial awareness and evidence of ability to deliver tasks to time and budget.
- Keen to learn and apply new skills.
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.