Electro-Optical Seekers & Systems Engineer Undergraduate Placement Bristol 2024
MBDA is a leading defence organisation that is proud to support our Armed Forces in protecting our nations. We collaborate with governments to achieve a shared goal of defending our freedom.
What we can offer you
- 10 month undergraduate placement starting September 2024
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals and free car parking
- A placement that allows you to apply your university learning to real-world engineering projects and technologies
- Flexible working
Our Electro-Optic (EO) Seekers & Systems department provides expertise and support into all projects within MBDA involving EO technologies, as well as investing in research and development of innovative technologies which will shape the future of our products. We work on projects that cover the whole product lifecycle from concept and assessment through to full product design and production. This role presents an exciting opportunity to experience all of these areas through a range of systems design, computational modelling, lab testing and field trials within a diverse team of engineers.
Some of the EO technologies we specialise in include:
- Infra-Red (IR) Seekers & Sensors
- Computational Imaging
- Lasers & Directed Energy Weapons
Across the department we have a variety of different teams to get involved in, who work together to deliver our overall functional capability. We all interact regularly through team meetings, events and socials to continue to grow as a department. We also collaborate closely with the technical community across MBDA and the wider defence industry. Within our core teams you will be able to:
- Systems – Support major MBDA programmes by designing and certifying EO products
- Technologies - Innovate and develop cutting edge technologies alongside experts in the field
- Modelling – Generate models for EO systems and use these to predict performance
- Scene Generation – Create synthetic IR imagery for these models to test different scenarios
- Trials – Assess real EO systems through lab testing and field trials
You will have the opportunity to work across all these different areas to discover your passion in engineering and develop the skills and knowledge needed to excel in your career within EO Seekers & Systems.
What we're looking for from you
- Currently studying towards a degree in Physics, Engineering, Electronics, Computing or any relevant applied Sciences discipline.
- We are looking for candidates with an interest in electro-optic systems and technologies, who are keen to apply their knowledge and skills to challenge themselves, the team and our technical capability.
We value new perspectives, collaboration, and diversity. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.