Image Processing Engineer Graduate Programme Bristol 2024
MBDA is a leading defence organisation that is proud to support our Armed Forces in protecting our nations. We collaborate with governments to achieve a shared goal of defending our freedom.
What we can offer you
- 2 year programme starting September 2024
- Company bonus and twice yearly salary reviews
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase) and up to 15 days flexi leave
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals and free car parking
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
- Flexible working
Security is a key consideration for the role and as such, the majority of your work will be conducted on site; a positive result of which is that our office remains a social and collaborative working environment. Nevertheless, there can be opportunities for home working depending on the nature of the task.
Image Processing UK (IP) plays a critical role in the development of MBDA products and technologies. We have a detailed understanding of the interaction between missile subsystems and a direct influence on meaningful design decisions. Our world-beating algorithms use imaging sensors to provide situational awareness and guide weapons to their target with maximum precision.
We are a firm supporter of equal opportunity for all, and are proud to be a diverse engineering team. IP is an innovative, cohesive department where the contributions of each individual have real value. As part of our team you will benefit from an excellent working culture built on individual empowerment and mutual support.
As a graduate you will be a key team member at an exciting time of growth and opportunity. The algorithms that you will research, develop and evaluate will form part of the next generation of complex weapon systems entering service with the UK Armed Forces and our allies.
Your work will consist of
- Conducting research studies into cutting-edge technological innovations for future products, in a variety of areas including Computer Vision, Artificial Intelligence and Computational Imaging. Examples of applications you might work on include classification, detection, tracking, and pose estimation.
- Developing algorithms as part of a wider product programme; working in collaboration with expert engineers and other graduates from a broad range of fields, and gaining an in-depth knowledge of the weapon's design and functionality
The primary development environment used within the department is Matlab/Simulink; in addition to this, you will have to opportunity to develop skills with:
- Deep Learning libraries (e.g. PyTorch, ONNX)
- Hardware development boards (e.g. NVIDIA Jetson Nano)
Alongside involvement with departmental activities, you will be part of a wider cohort of graduates on the Early Careers Programme; benefits from this include receiving ongoing support in the development of your professional career as well as opportunities for involvement in charity and STEM outreach schemes.
Many projects within IP are international in scope, and can offer the opportunity for European travel and collaboration with French, German and Italian colleagues. All MBDA employees can take advantage of free language training, as well as a wide range of other benefits including retail discounts and share purchase schemes.
What we're looking for from you
Degree qualified in an Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy, Computing or related science discipline (minimum 2:2).
We value new perspectives, collaboration, and diversity. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.