Data Developer - Graduate SQL Developers required 2021
Our vision and values are built on the simple premise of ‘The exceptional, every day’- our overarching commitment to both our customers and our colleagues. Our values set out how we all should behave at Mitie, what we should expect from our colleagues and what our customers can expect from us:
- We are one Mitie
- We are built on integrity and trust
- We go the extra mile
- Our diversity makes us stronger
- Our customers’ business, is our business
At Mitie we know that ‘our diversity makes us stronger’. We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where our people can thrive and be their best every day. We are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal. We recognise the unique contributions that you can bring and our people and customers thrive when we get this right.
We are hiring a team of Data Developers in order to rapidly ingest and model data from a number of systems and manage them ongoing. We therefore welcome applications from a range of experience levels.
The Data Developer role is within the Technical Solutions team. The successful candidate will help support the integration of data from multiple systems into a Common Data Model to enable MI reporting, data science projects and data-related applications.
Working closely with a team of MI Analysts, Data Scientists, Business Analysts and IS, your primary responsibility will be to transform raw system data into a standard data format to enable regular reporting & insight that will drive tangible value and change for clients and Mitie. The successful candidate will be expected to quickly get up to speed with the business’ operating model and understand what the data means not just where it came from.
Our data sources are expanding regularly and currently include CAFM (computer aided facilities management) systems, finance systems (inc. SAP, WR1, Sage), Salesforce, HR, workplace scheduling, IOT, etc. The focus of this role initially with be on CAFM systems. Working from raw data ingested into an Azure data lake, this role presents an opportunity for those with specialist skills such as data modelling, database administration, data layer development and business analysis. We want you to grow and develop while working at Mitie and there is a particularly strong focus on learning and development in this team.
This role will play a big part in delivering towards the Mitie strategy of “The Connected Workspace”.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Work with Business Analysts to identify the data capture processes within core systems and how they relate to the internal and external MI requirements
- Work with IS to ingest key data fields from core systems into the data lake
- Understand the business objectives, operating models, etc. and how they relate to the reporting requirements
- Develop and fine-tune the database architecture.
- Develop the data- and reporting- layers for maximum efficiency
- Maintain data dictionaries and schematics regarding the data structure, including public-facing documentation to assist MI Analysts across the business
- Review and manage the approval process for user-generated reporting layer code
- Review user-generated Power BI dashboards to ensure CPU load is front-loaded to the data lake
- Communicate with the users and the business about developments and changes to the data infrastructure
- Keep up to date with the latest industry developments and bring best practice and innovations into the team when appropriate
- Proven track record of delivering data transformation projects (data modelling, data mapping, database administration, etc.)
- Highly proficient in SQL, Python, Microsoft technology stack
- Microsoft Power BI experience preferred
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- High levels of attention to detail
- Ability to work with and manage multiple stakeholders
- Degree educated in appropriate field (computer science, information technology, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written language skills are a pre-requisite
- Knowledge of industry-wide developments an advantage
- A conceptual understanding of IoT and connected workspace technologies
- Experience of Facilities Management or Property industry an advantage