Building Services Engineering Graduate 2024
Our graduate building services engineers are responsible for the functional design which takes buildings from an empty shell to a pleasant space to live and work in. Our teams are responsible for ensuring health and safety requirements are met, while creating a visually appealing and comfortable environment.
As a building services engineer you will be helping to provide cost effective and sustainable solutions to ensure buildings perform in an efficient and effective manner. Our projects are not just within the UK, they are international. They also span a variety of sectors, including defence, transport, utilities, energy, public and private sector. Some of our notable projects include HS2, Royal Navy Britannia College and the Somerset Energy Innovation Centre (part of the Hinkley power station project).
As part of your application, we will ask you to select your preferred opportunity based on the sector and location.
Some of our opportunities will require you to be eligible to achieve security clearance, this is shown in the selection choices.
Security clearance is dictated by the types of projects we work on and normally requires you to be a UK British national or lived in the UK for five years or more.
We are looking for committed and motivated graduates with a genuine passion for building services and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme, you will have less than 12 months relevant work experience and have a master's degree or are expected to achieve one of the following degree disciplines:
- Architectural engineering
- Building Services engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Depending on the discipline of your undergraduate degree, you will have the opportunity to specialise in the area of electrical building services or mechanical building services:
- Mechanical: you’ll help to create a comfortable environment by designing the mechanical components of necessities such as heating, air conditioning, ventilation, and domestic water services.
- Electrical: Some of the exciting projects you’ll be involved in include the installation of necessities such as power, lighting, fire detection and alarm systems and security.
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest in the role and working at Mott MacDonald through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics
- Methodical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
As we want the best people for the role, we support flexible working.
Please ask us at interview stage about any flexibility you may need.
Use of AI tools in our application process
In today's fast-paced and technology-driven world, we understand that candidates may use various tools, including AI, to enhance their applications. Whilst we embrace the changes technology brings, we also value the importance of authenticity and genuine human connection.
At Mott MacDonald, we are interested in the unique qualities, experiences, and perspectives that you as an individual can bring. We want to emphasise that what truly sets you apart is your authentic self and to consider this when making an application. Please be prepared to answer questions during your interview, based on the information you have provided in your application form.
About your development
A graduate position should be more than just a job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate roles, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a mentor who will support you on your journey to gaining professional recognition within your chosen discipline
What else is involved?
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a structured three-year soft-skills development programme alongside all of the other graduates in your cohort across our Europe & UK region. In partnership with Cappfinity, a global leader in talent mobility, we have identified the skills that drive success amongst early career talent within Mott MacDonald, and have designed a learning experience to enable you to develop these skills delivered through a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars, and group challenges. Also giving you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development journey to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You will have the opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our Social Outcomes and the difference we can make!
What we offer
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension up to 7% of your salary: we have the best people on our team, and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer to suit your specific needs, including season ticket loans, restaurant discounts and gym membership.
Our social side
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, there’s a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in.
From the moment you join us, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether it’s meeting other graduates or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day. Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. We’re committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in what’s already on offer, don’t be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.