Rolling Stock Engineering Graduate Derby 2024
Sitting within the Railway Rolling Stock team at Mott MacDonald, you will be responsible, subject to training and under increasingly reducing supervision, for:
- Delivering a broad range of consultancy tasks in the field of railway vehicle mechanical or electrical engineering,
- Writing specifications, undertaking design reviews and system investigations, incident investigation and fault finding,
- Undertaking site visits to inspect rail vehicles and carry out investigations and incorporating results in detailed formal technical reports or letters,
- Providing guidance generally on vehicle mechanical or electrical systems to clients and other Mott MacDonald staff,
- Communicating with key clients and promoting Mott MacDonald and its services.
There will also be opportunities to travel to other locations (company or client, office or site) within the UK and overseas.
You will be expected to actively work towards and seek chartership with a relevant institution, and actively engage with the Mott MacDonald Early Career Professional network, training and programmes.
We are looking for committed and motivated graduates with a genuine passion and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To be eligible for this opportunity, you will have less than 12 months relevant experience and have a degree (or are expected to achieve one) in mechanical, electrical or systems engineering (or a general engineering degree with either mechanical or electrical specialisation).
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest in the role and working at Mott MacDonald through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics
- Methodical approach to problem solving,
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently,
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members,
- A willingness to engage at all levels to develop a broad professional network,
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing,
- Willing to work alone or as part of a wider team,
- Have an interest in the rail industry and preferably in railway rolling stock,
- Open to opportunities for placements, travel and multi-disciplinary projects.
As we want the best people for the role, we support flexible working.
Please ask us at interview stage about any flexibility you may need.
Use of AI tools in our application process
In today's fast-paced and technology-driven world, we understand that candidates may use various tools, including AI, to enhance their applications. Whilst we embrace the changes technology brings, we also value the importance of authenticity and genuine human connection.
At Mott MacDonald, we are interested in the unique qualities, experiences, and perspectives that you as an individual can bring. We want to emphasise that what truly sets you apart is your authentic self and to consider this when making an application. Please be prepared to answer questions during your interview, based on the information you have provided in your application form.
About your development
A graduate position should be more than just a job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate roles, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a mentor who will support you on your journey to gaining professional recognition within your chosen discipline
What else is involved
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a structured three-year soft-skills development programme alongside all of the other graduates in your cohort across our Europe & UK region. In partnership with Cappfinity, a global leader in talent mobility, we have identified the skills that drive success amongst early career talent within Mott MacDonald, and have designed a learning experience to enable you to develop these skills delivered through a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars, and group challenges. Also giving you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development journey to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You will have the opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our Social Outcomes and the difference we can make!
What we offer
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension up to 7% of your salary: we have the best people on our team, and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer to suit your specific needs, including season ticket loans, restaurant discounts and gym membership.
Our social side
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, there’s a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in.
From the moment you join us, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether it’s meeting other graduates or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day. Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. We’re committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in what’s already on offer, don’t be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.