Graduate Simulation Engineer
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
- as a developer, creating simulations of a wide range of physical systems and designing prototypes of the control algorithms that run them;
- as an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- as a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of the world’s largest purely online grocery retailer.
We’re looking for people keen on personal development and expect candidates to grow in the role through self directed personal development, collaborative learning, keeping an eye on the latest research, and attending conferences and training.
- Proven numeracy and ability to think analytically, e.g. a strong degree or PHD in a numerical subject
- Solid programming skills
- Experience of or enthusiasm for simulation and modelling
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Speed of learning, able to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate technical details with a non-technical team, and vice versa
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Experience in a research environment in either academia or industry
- Experience of coding in Java
- Any useful tools (e.g. Excel, Python, SQL)
What you can expect from us
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application!