Entry Level Developer Worcester 2023
Open GI is a leading software development company and a trusted partner to the general insurance industry. Based across the UK and Europe, our support and development services make us a truly diverse organization that offers a range of IT solutions to insurance brokers, insurers, and managing general agents.
It is our mission to be both the Technology Partner and Employer of Choice to the UK General Insurance market. Our people are placed at the heart of this and diversity, equality and inclusion are central to everything we do.
We know the key to achieving success is to enable a positive, inclusive, and collaborative working culture, and, as part of our commitment, we have signed up for a number of pledges and programmes designed to support and nurture our people. No matter where you sit or which team you are a part of, we want you to know that you contribute in helping us to shape where the company will be in the future. We would love for each employee to be able to talk with pride about our company and, most importantly, consider Open GI to be an inclusive, fun and fulfilling place to work.
Working under the supervision of a Development Team Leader, responsible for the development, support and maintenance of Open GI software. Provide analysis related to software development, and solve problems.
Your key responsibilities:
Undertake assigned software development activities such as:
- New application development
- Feature enhancements
- Maintenance, fault investigation and resolution
- Code reviews
- Merging between source control branches
- Database scripting and optimisation
- Data migration
- Unit testing and production of test evidence
- Creation of installation packages
Undertake software development in accordance with approved departmental procedures, good practice guidelines and coding standards. Make proper use of company systems such as source code control and incident management systems:
- Review business requirements to design and estimate your own tasks. Complete tasks within these estimates and implement, test and debug modules and small projects.
- Develop familiarity with all company products and all the technologies used to build them and specialise in a subset of them.
- If appropriate, provide internal and external software release support.
- The timely and detailed completion of timesheets in the Open GI Time Management System.
Interfacing with Other Departments:
- Ability to gain the proactive cooperation of other people within the organisation regardless of department.
Such interactions would typically include:
- Testing & Customer Support - Help diagnose and classify faults and fault correction.
- Release & Configuration - Assistance with new product developments, release issues, and revisions to release procedures.
- Other departments – Technical assistance where appropriate.
- Qualification/Training in a Computing or Information Technology course - 2:1 Degree or Approved apprenticeship scheme
- Any previous related work experience such as work placement would be advantageous
- Knowledge of .net framework
- Proficient in Microsoft Visual Studio (C# and VB.net) and Microsoft SQL Server
- Understanding of source control systems (TFS/VSTS/GIT)
- Ability to work with legacy code lines (VB6)
- General office experience required
- MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook) proficiency required
- Ability to think logically, solve technical problems and plan workload, to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Intuition, initiative, drive and a strong desire to succeed.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and accurately in writing and verbally.
- An involved team player, yet able to perform required duties with minimal supervision, motivates self without being asked or directed.
- Ability to represent the company in a positive and professional manner when interfacing with customers.
- Strives to continuously develop and improve own skills and knowledge.
Mission and Values:
Our mission is to be both the Technology Partner and Employer of choice for the UK General Insurance Market. Our values are central to this vision, as they represent how we collaborate how we work together in synergy and continually deliver for our customers:
- Accountability: We take personal pride in finding solutions and achieving results
- Innovation: We lead the market by being proactive, product-led and forward thinking
- Teamwork: We work collaboratively, recognising and celebrating success
- Trust: We build trust on integrity, transparency and respect
We are looking for an individual who embraces our values in their actions, decisions, communications and processes to inspire positivity and, ultimately, exceptional performance.
- Salary of up to £32,000 per annum depending on skills and experience
- Company pension
- Bonus opportunity
- Life assurance and critical illness cover
- Cycle to work scheme
- Perkbox – an exclusive platform offering a wide range of discounts and benefits
- Holiday entitlement of 25 days per annum, increasing to 26 days per annum after three years of service & a holiday purchase scheme
- A hybrid approach to work
- Opportunity for a more flexible approach to start, finish, and lunchtimes to allow you to better manage events outside of work
- Social clubs - whether you’re into your cycling, crafts, or other hobbies, we have a number of groups at Open GI where individuals who enjoy the same pursuits can get together
- Wellbeing – wills at work scheme, employee assistance programme and mental health first aiders