Systems Engineer Industrial Placement Malvern 2024
It's an exciting time to join one of our Early Careers programmes at QinetiQ. We are always looking for great people to join our team, whether you are taking your first steps in starting a career or you are looking to make a career change, we have a wide range of exciting opportunities for you.
About the team
QinetiQ’s UK Intelligence business helps our customers to respond to constantly evolving threats, based on our expertise in secured navigation, radar & electronic warfare, secure communication platforms, intelligence, surveillance and cyber security. We deliver Mission Winning Innovation into global defence, security, and critical national infrastructure markets through provision of ‘customer-friend’ advice, acquisition support, and solution development activities.
QinetiQ's Systems Engineers are renowned for providing high quality, independent technical advice to a wide range of customers, in support of their major acquisition programmes, and for developing our own range of world-leading products. We are looking for people to join our growing team of Systems Engineers who are interested in applying and developing their technical expertise, across a number of domains, both military and commercial.
What will I be doing?
There are opportunities to support work in the following Domains and Activities:
- Application of Systems Engineering principles across the lifecycle i.e. concept development, requirements capture, architecting, design, delivery, verification and validation.
- Communications & Information Systems
- Cyber and Security
- Electronic Warfare and Radar
- Research & Innovation
- Secured Navigation (particularly Global Navigation Satellite Systems – GNSS)
- Consultancy and Business Analysis
- Product Development (full lifecycle)
- Engagement with customers and developing new propositions
You will need to be working towards a degree with a key focus on any of the disciplines listed: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) degrees, particularly covering Systems Engineering, Electrical, Electronics, Communications, Information and Computing Engineering.
- Have an interest in systems engineering.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- Self-motivated team member that takes ownership of tasking whilst operating collaboratively within a dynamic team.
- Able to communicate clearly and present to a wide range of audiences.
- Flexible approach to tasking, potentially be able to support multiple projects or tasks in a variety of stages of development.
- Be prepared to travel to customer and QinetiQ sites on a project-dependent basis to support project delivery.
- Be prepared to go through the Government Vetting process.
How will I be supported?
As a student placement, you will join our vibrant cohort of Early Careers employees. You will benefit from:
- Working within one or more experienced teams under the direction of a technical manager.
- Pastoral support from a functional (line) manager.
- Internal training courses in the systems engineering discipline delivered by QinetiQ experts.
- Personalised training and development through the Personal Development Fund.
- Social and networking events through the Cortex social network for new starters.
- Joining an informal network of talented Early Careers employees across QinetiQ, both nationally and globally.
In accordance with our National Security Vetting requirements, all applicants must also be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
Please note that under immigrations rules, our Early Careers roles do not meet the legal threshold for candidates who are residents of the UK on student visas.
Why join QinetiQ?
As a global company of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise, we are excited to recruit the most talented and enthusiastic people to become key parts of our business. Our Early Careers programmes give you the opportunity to be at the heart of impactful projects.
Diversity and inclusion
We believe in a workplace where everyone feels like they belong, one that provides a sense of inclusion across the entire organisation regardless of background, culture or identity.
To achieve this, we are building a workplace and culture where everyone can be authentic, feel valued and realise their full potential. We are inspired by each other, enjoying the exploratory journey we are on, and recognising the impact we have on the safety and security of the world around us. It helps build life-time relationships between QinetiQ and our people and is essential for our business performance.
Looking after the health and wellbeing of our employees are our top priority. We encourage good physical and mental health, which is critical to our collective and individual success. We offer a host of services designed to support your wellbeing. They range from our Thrive app and Employee Assistance Programme to Mental Health First Aiders. The wellbeing of our employees is critical to our collective and individual success
Rewards and benefits
We offer global career progression and the opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting projects along with a wide range of rewards and recognition. Our highly competitive salaries come with a raft of benefits, from a performance-based Employee Incentive Scheme to Thank Q, our global recognition scheme. There’s also a Share Incentive Plan, Life Assurance and Benefits+, our flexible benefits package. It’s all designed to make life easier for you.
With a focus on protecting the world around us, our goal is to be a Net-Zero company by 2050 or sooner and we have set near-term emissions reduction targets to help us deliver this ambition.
As part of our commitment to the environment, many of our sites have significant protected conservation areas of national and international importance. We take our stewardship of these conservation areas very seriously, balancing complex trials with careful protection of rare flora and fauna across these 53 important locations.
Being a responsible and sustainable business is at the heart of our identity.
Come and find out how you can play your part.