Graduate Research & Development Shift Engineer Londonderry 2024
R&D Shift Engineers are essential to our mission of building the world's best storage technologies. You will work as part of a team reporting to the R&D Engineering Manager and working with other shift technicians and engineers supporting R&D product and technology integration. You will provide shift cover supporting and delivering their objectives of advanced process integration, process development, minimum process variation and maximum yields, while also helping to minimize wafer delivery times and maximize learning.
If you’re excited by new technologies, are naturally creative and passionate about seeing ideas come to life then this just might be the perfect start to your research and development career.
About the role
You will be working in our high-tech wafer fabrication facility using the most advanced manufacturing processes and tools under clean room conditions. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow valuable technical, manufacturing and research skills, in a demanding and rewarding environment.
The focus of this position will be to support the wafer development of novel designs and processes for advanced magnetic and magneto-optic read/write transducers. The process areas that are used include vacuum deposition & etch, photolithography, electroplating, chemical mechanical polishing, associated thin film metrology techniques and offline characterization.
- Interface with the factory sustaining and manufacturing teams on shift to maintain yields and ensure timely delivery of new technologies and products.
- Support wafer operations and flow management for the development team
- Facilitate experiments for new designs, materials, and device structures.
- Support advanced process characterization including control plans.
- Enable process integration methods, micro fabrication tool processing and qualification.
- Troubleshoot & resolve wafer process and yield issues.
- Interpret failure and defect analysis, statistical data and grading of development wafers.
- Provide oral and written updates on projects and tasks.
- A contributor within a team who works effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Able to make decisions and capable of operating independently with limited supervision.
- A good communicator with strong presentation and written skills.
You must be:
- In the final year of your relevant degree in an Engineering/Science related discipline (Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, Electrical/electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Applied Mechanics, or related field) and embarking on your first step into the world of engineering.
- Recently graduated within the last year of your degree in an Engineering/Science related discipline.
Your experience includes
- Have gained previous experience in a related manufacturing or business area.
- Have some familiarity with semiconductor processing technologies and equipment, such as photolithography, vacuum deposition, dry and wet etch techniques or be able to show knowledge of thin films, metrology characterization, test methods and techniques.
- Be in the final year or recently graduated within the last year of your Master’s or PhD degree.
Please note that you must demonstrate on the application how you meet the criteria for the role as identified above. To facilitate shortlisting, the company reserves the right to apply enhanced criteria.
Work Shifts: 12-hour onsite shifts that include days and nights.
This is a Full-Time position working 42 hours per week, on-site working.
Testing may be used as part of the selection process.
Employees wishing to be considered for the above post should submit your completed application through SAP - Seagate Careers.
At Seagate we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. To see all vacancies that Seagate has available, please sign up - Register with our Talent Network for career updates and to be considered for future opportunities.
Seagate Technology is committed to equal opportunity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community irrespective of sex, marital status, religious affiliation, age, disability or ethnic origin. The Company specifically welcomes applications from the protestant community who are currently underrepresented in this job category. All applications will be considered strictly on the basis of merit.