Technology Graduate Programme Coventry 2024
Taking care of ‘one of life’s essentials’ – it’s our purpose and we want you to be part of it. Supplying wholesome drinking water, treating wastewater and recycling this back to the environment responsibly is no mean feat. We serve around 8 million people across the Midlands and Wales and unlike other businesses, our delivery is non-negotiable. It’s a matter of life.
Many of our employees are also our customers, so we truly take pride in what we do! Employing people from across our communities and beyond, Severn Trent is an exciting and inclusive place to work – a place where you can be curious, can be ‘Wonderfully You’ and where you can truly make an impact to our environment, now and for future generations.
Let's tell you more
Our Technology Graduate Programme offers the perfect blend of personal and professional development, exposing you to the core of our business. You’ll have the opportunity to solve business challenges during technology incidents and providing tech solutions for our colleagues.
The programme will give you the opportunity to learn how to support and deliver technology change through unique placements to give you exposure to different teams in Technology.
A day in the life of a Technology Graduate at Severn Trent involves a dynamic and fast pace environment. The day usually starts with a stand up to provide an update on incomplete tasks and setting priorities for that day. Depending on the placement, usually the day will consist of engaging in agile project work focusing on tasks like:
- Software development
- Data analysis
- Problem solving
- Communicating with Stakeholders
In addition to daily tasks there are plenty of opportunities to expand your network through social events and engagement activities across the department, this is vital for successful collaboration with cross-functional teams within technology.
You’ll spend time supporting our programmes and teams in the delivery of technology standards and solutions and will gain experience in how to produce insights to provide confidence in making great business decisions. You’ll also learn about different aspects of our business whilst working on a range of projects which will help address real life challenges and drive tangible change.
The aim of the programme is to create a pathway and give you the necessary tools to become a future leader within our technology teams. Furthermore, the programme is designed to enhance your critical thinking, leadership, and strategic thinking, as well as giving you the opportunity to showcase your creativity and really add value in shaping our future direction.
What you will learn
You will expand your knowledge of project and people management, including learning how to effectively manage and influence stakeholders. You’ll also gain a strong business and commercial acumen, developing your ability to plan strategically with time, cost, and quality in mind, and how to deliver this message successfully to a range of stakeholders.
You’ll gain a deeper understanding of why and how we make sure we deliver with our customers at the heart of what we do, and how we communicate this message across our communities. You will learn the following either directly from placements, through supplementary training or project work:
- How to use our Service Management Tool to resolve Citrix and Microsoft technology incidents and requests for colleagues, and how to manage changes using ITIL techniques.
- How to triage and problem solve technology challenges, problems and incidents.
- How to support our programmes and teams in the development and delivery of standards (finance, data, and risk management) to ensure we deliver on time, to quality and to budget.
- How to produce insights that enable management teams to make key business decisions.
- How to identify risks and opportunities for process improvements.
- Work with business units to develop IT strategies and to improve current IT implementations.
Typical off-scheme role
This scheme will develop you into a capable Infrastructure Engineer and you’ll land a position in the TechOps Infrastructure team.
Our New Talent Team will guide you and support you every step of the way. Furthermore, your line manager, mentor and buddy will be there to help you in making sure you reach your full potential here at Severn Trent.
This programme is designed for individuals who have completed a degree, ideally in a Cyber or Computer Science based subject, however other subjects could be considered if able to demonstrate a strong interest in Technology.
Typical contracts are 37 hours per week, however there may be flexibility around the structure of your working hours, team and line manager dependent.
What we're looking for
We want our employees to care and to have a genuine passion for what we do as a business. We need people who want to make a difference in providing a vital service to our customers, now and for the long-term. We’d love you to be someone with:
- A ‘can do’ attitude – willing to get stuck in, take accountability for decisions and actions and who takes pride in their work.
- A love of variety in a role and ability to adapt to a dynamic, fast-paced working environment.
- Able to take the initiative and work independently.
- Ability to quickly prioritise tasks and the initiative to dive head-first into problem solving.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, enjoy working with multiple teams and ability to engage with colleagues.
- Ability to analyse and interpret information and effectively communicate this to different team members and audiences.
- Curiosity to learn quickly in a reactive and dynamic working environment.
Diversity and inclusion
At Severn Trent we are passionate about our people. We want to make sure that we continue to foster a more diverse, inclusive, and cohesive culture that represents the communities and customers we serve.
We’re making sure we keep up the progress with our wonderful working groups – LGBTQ+, Women in Operations & STEM, Disability and Ethnicity, who help us with our commitments.
How we'll reward and care for you in return
It’s not just a job you’ll get here, you’ll get a career too. We have a range of benefits that reward and recognise great work and award-winning training to ensure you reach your potential. And we’ll also help you play your part in looking after the environment and the community in which we live. Here are some of our favourites:
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays (and the ability to buy/ sell up to 5 days per year)
- Annual bonus scheme (of up to £2,225 which is subject to eligibility)
- Leading pension scheme – we will double your contribution (up to 15% when you contribute 7.5%)
- Sharesave – the chance to buy Severn Trent Plc shares at a discounted rate
- 10% monthly discount with Busy Bees Nurseries, and one-week free childcare
- Dedicated training and development with our Academy
- Electric vehicle scheme and retail offers
- Family friendly policies
- Two paid volunteering days per year
As if that isn’t enough, you’ll receive an annual salary increase whilst you’re on programme and you’ll also get an increase when you move into your first job.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Roles close on 29th February 2024
- Check your diary – face to face assessments will run from 8th - 26th April 2024
To find out more about working with us, search#LifeatSevernTrent on social media.