Commercial Graduate Aberdeen 2024
Our global team, your opportunities.
TechnipFMC is committed to driving real change in the energy industry. Our ambition is to build a sustainable future through relentless innovation and global collaboration – and we want you to be part of it.
You’ll be joining a culture that values curiosity, expertise, and ideas as well as diversity, inclusion, and authenticity. Bring your unique energy to our team of more than 20,000 people worldwide, and discover a rewarding, fulfilling, and varied career that you can take in anywhere you want to go.
Obtain “on-the-Job” learning and experience of Legal and Contracting, Tendering and Supply Chain processes, along with other associated functions and departments such as OneFleet, Project Controls, Finance and Risk Management such that at the end of the Graduate scheme the Graduate shall successfully demonstrate they meet the competencies required to complete the scheme and transition to the next level role.
The Graduate will be expected to provide the appropriate team with support in delivering and executing work in accordance with each relevant placement role and manage a workload assigned during each rotation. The Graduate will firstly spend 12 months in a home department, 12 months on rotation to various linked functions and subsequently return for a final 12 months in their home department. Home department will be within one of the three roles listed below.
As a commercial graduate under the Legal Subsea Projects team, you will work alongside an experienced Contracts Specialist and/ or Senior Contracts Specialist and will play an integral part of the project team responsible for managing all contractual requirements under TechnipFMC’s customer contracts.
The key focus of the role is to help protect the contractual and commercial interests of the company and the projects, whilst ensuring that all company policies and procedures are adhered to.
The activities will include dealing with management of change under the Contracts, dealing with contractual correspondence and identification and mitigation of commercial and contractual risk whilst liaising with other key stakeholders in the business. An excellent opportunity to gain firsthand experience of Subsea project delivery and obtain a greater understanding of the role that contract management professionals play in the project execution environment.
Legal projects main accountabilities
- Fully understand the role and responsibility of the Contracts Specialist and assist respective project Contracts Specialist and/ or Senior Contracts Specialist with the following tasks;
- Gain an appreciation of the Legal & Contracts function and all activities undertaken
- Understand the role of Contract Management on Projects
- Have full appreciation of TechnipFMC vessels, equipment, resources, manufacturing plants, spoolbases and general capabilities
- Fully understand all Contract Management related procedures and processes on the Global Business Process Management System (BPMS)
- Assist in Performing all contract administration required, including the preparation/review of all correspondence (excluding pure technical communication) to and from the Client, follow up of Clients reporting requirements, issue of variation orders (including maintenance of the variation order register), notices, insurances, guarantees, progress, milestone and invoicing process
- Manage and maintain accurate records of all project, contractual and commercial documentation within Contracts Workspace System
- Assist in providing the Project Manager and wider project team with accurate summaries of contract related matters including contract synopsis, risk review and contract obligations matrix and guidance on contract / commercial requirements
- Assist in monitoring all project deliverables as well as identify risks and opportunities in the event of delivery failure
- Assist in managing all claims on the project
- Gain an understanding of industry, marine and group insurance regimes
- Coordinate the procurement of additional insurances in conjunction with other functions within with Insurance where applicable
- Assist in the placement and follow-up of inter-company orders
- Be familiar with the different forms of UK projects subcontracts and when to use each type
- Assist and support in the execution of Procurement and Subcontract Management activities including selection of terms and conditions, preparation of main contract flowdowns and approval of deviations to standard terms and conditions
- Understand and participate in the preparation of subcontract ITTs, tender evaluation, negotiation and award and preparation and execution of the subcontract document
- Interface with Cost Control to establish and maintain accurate financial forecasting
- Interface with the Tax function to assess and quantify tax liabilities
- Assist in the administration of bank bonds, parent company guarantees and insurance certificates
- Understand internal project cost control and reporting systems and be familiar with the cost report format
- Participate as required in project management reviews and provide input to project management review reports
- Assist in preparation, checking and resolution of invoices in conjunction with Cost Control
- Participate in close out of contracts/projects including in relation to the certificates final account and securities and deals with claims to satisfactory conclusions
As a commercial graduate within the Tendering team, you will work alongside experienced Lead, Senior and Tendering Engineers, whilst playing an integral part of the Tendering Team responsible for winning new business for the UK, Mediterranean and Caspian business unit across New Energy and traditional Oil & Gas sectors.
The key focus of the role is to fulfil the commercial role of the tender process, which involves the submission and subsequent negotiation of any bid, acting as the conduit of multiple internal and external stakeholders through key approval gates from initial tender receipt to ultimate final contract handover. Key competencies will be built across estimating, procurement, contract qualifications, risk and close collaboration will be formed with colleagues in legal, finance and engineering functions.
You will gain significant exposure to TechnipFMC senior management and business strategy through tenders of vast scale, from Engineering Studies of low thousands of pounds in revenue, to full scale integrated Engineering, Procurement, Construction, and Installation (iEPCI) tenders equating to hundreds of millions of pounds of in revenue.
- Assist in the preparation of multiple tenders, covering a variety of scopes and covering the complete tendering process from kick off on receipt of ITT through tender collation, approvals, submission, negotiation, and final contract handover. The tenders allocated shall provide experience varying from Front End Engineering Studies to Integrated Engineering/Procurement/Construction/Installation (iEPCI) as department workload permits, providing a large variety of tender experience.
- Responsible for ensuring TechnipFMC tender approval process is followed in accordance with appropriate delegation of authority / power reserve list.
- Gain exposure of tender clarifications and negotiations.
- Gain a thorough working knowledge of the tender estimating tool, using multiple cost inputs.
- Gain a detailed understanding of Contracting Principles and qualify ITTs (Invitation to Tender) to comply with these principles.
- Develop an awareness of meeting the customer’s needs in developing the commercial, financial and contractual responses to clients.
- Familiarity with the use of Ariba and the Global Procurement Organisation, including preparing and issuing enquiries to sub-contractors and subsequent evaluation.
- Gain an understanding of the Risk Management process.
Global Sourcing and Procurement
- Gain an understanding of the One Fleet organisation and its role within TechnipFMC
- Understanding of different One Fleet departments and relationships to subsea projects
- Understanding of Contracts Specialist role within CAPEX/Dry Docking project
- Tendering / Negotiation / Award / Close Out for CAPEX/dry-docking
- Variations Process for CAPEX/dry-docking project
- Understanding process for preparation of CAPEX project Procurement Plan
- Understanding of Contracts Specialist role for a vessel chartering
- Review a Vessel Charter
- Call-Off from a Frame Agreement for Vessel Charter
- Sourcing Strategy document for FA / EA
- Understanding of Contracts Specialist role related to Frame and Enabling Agreements
- Reviewing FA / EA Effectiveness
- Understanding of Contracts Specialist role related to Supplier Prequalification
- Prepare and issue Supplier Pre-Qualification pack
- Receive Pre-Qualification Pack and issue for review and upload relevant findings to SMD
- Understanding of Contracts Specialist role for Performance Feedback
- Complete Supplier Performance Feedback
- Involvement with Contract Management Plan for various agreements
- Familiarity with the use of EPC/SMD
When submitting your application, please specify your preferred discipline(s) within your Cover Letter.
Nice to have
- Professional or degree-level qualification in a Quantity Surveying, Business or Legal discipline
Typical background and experience required
- Awareness of a commercial environment
- Able to communicate with professional and technical personnel at all levels in the organisation
- Able to work within and contribute to a motivated and professional
- Well organised
- Self-motivated and persistent
- Able to work on own initiative
- Willing to embrace new ideas and foster their adoption within the business
Required for future development
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to master larger, more complex project briefs
Being a global leader in the energy industry requires an inclusive and diverse environment. TechnipFMC promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion by ensuring equal opportunities to all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender expressions, disabilities, or all other pluralities. We celebrate who you are and what you bring. Every voice matters and we encourage you to add to our culture.
TechnipFMC respects the rights and dignity of those it works with and promotes adherence to internationally recognized human rights principles for those in its value chain.