Entry Level Systems Engineer Templecombe 2024
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space.
Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Junior Systems Engineer
The Thales Maritime Mission Systems (MMS) Systems Engineering team at Cheadle Heath and Templecombe carry out Systems Engineering activities covering the full engineering lifecycle for Submarine, Surface Ship, Airborne and Minewarfare sonar systems, Command and Control, and full Combat Systems.
The team provides support for all Thales in-service sonar systems, UK and abroad. MMS are also at the forefront of the exciting & challenging area of remotely operated unmanned vehicles for maritime/naval operations.
Key responsibilities and tasks
The role may include, but not be limited to, the following wide and varied activities:
- System definition activities – requirements definition, functional and physical definitions
- Engagement with, and presentation to, the Customer & End-User
- Analysis of system performance
- Product development; research & development.
- Monitoring of emerging detailed design within various implementation teams – acoustic, hardware, mechanical, software etc
- Preparation of infeed to system level-design reviews
- Integration, Verification, Validation & Qualification (IVVQ) planning and execution, including platform trials from time-to-time
- Preparation for requirements sell-off and contract acceptance with Customer
Skills, experience & qualifications
You will be studying for a degree in an engineering or relevant scientific discipline, e.g. systems, software, hardware, electrical/electronics, mechanical, communications etc. Or a higher level Degree/Doctorate, or equivalent.
- Relevant experience gained through academic or work-place activities, e.g. modelling, project work, analysis, etc
- Knowledge of acoustic design and/or performance in underwater environment
- MatLab, or equivalent, experience.
- Understanding of signal processing and network design.
- Willingness to develop systems engineering skills
- Strong analytical abilities with a methodical approach
- System modelling skills
Values & behaviours
- Willingness to learn and develop individual skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and freely
- Strong team player
- Willingness to work offsite, including on target platforms in dockyards or at sea.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working.
Thales UK is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process. We will provide reasonable adjustments and support to ensure neuro-diverse applicants or those with a disability or long-term condition can be their best during the recruitment process. To request an adjustment, if you need this job advert in an alternative format or if you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Resourcing Ops for mid to senior roles, or the Early Careers Team for graduate and apprentice roles.
Great journeys start here, apply now!