Electrical Engineering Graduate Scheme Burnaston 2024
Engineering at Toyota isn't about nuts and bolts. It's much more about having imagination plus the dedication to keep developing the best processes and products. We encourage our engineers to look at things from every angle to find better ways of working. That's always been the Toyota Way - as our founder Sakichi Toyoda put it: "Inspiration comes from many places. We need to have our eyes, our minds and our hearts open to things we interact with every day, so open your window to the world." You can see that commitment reflected in cars like the Corolla. It's what makes Toyota a great place for inquisitive engineers to sharpen their skills.
Your time here
Here at Toyota we develop members fit for both now and the future, focusing on personal and professional development. Over the two-year scheme, you'll get to see the breadth of our business, receiving responsibility that will stretch your problem-solving skills and introduce you to people at all levels. It’s a challenging scheme, consistently testing your abilities, but equally you’ll receive plenty of support from your mentor, managers, and colleagues.
Your role will be based within the Facilities Engineering department where you will be working with the team to ensure the whole plant runs smoothly & continuously.
Potential Trainee Engineer (Graduate) projects include
- Ensuring electrical compliance is maintained across site in line with company policy and legislation.
- Investigating & co-ordinating the solutions/repair of Statutory defects & DSEAR compliance.
- Supporting sitewide in any new LV electrical installations, including Busbar, Tap off & DB installations. Carrying out load study investigations & analysis.
- Working with a range of electrical contractors to deliver various projects. Including contractor H&S management, writing bid specifications for quoting & carrying out tender evaluations.
- Responsibility for site security, including CCTV, Fence alarm, Access control & Traffic management.
- Be involved in Renewable energy projects across site including solar generation in collaboration with the DNO, hydrogen generation, EV charging development, BESS (Battery energy storage systems).
- Electrical distribution network protection, obsolescence study & substation upgrade/replacement programme. Developing a long term Capital Investment plan for the business.
- Managing and controlling HV Maintenance & PD testing/monitoring programmes.
- HV (11Kv) Maintenance, you will be trained & developed to become competent to prepare, authorise and carry out HV switching.
- Developing & implementing real time monitoring of substation performance and safety systems, using BMS & Ignition software.
- Supporting day to day operations with major breakdown investigations
All graduates will take part in six weeks of line training. This will mean that for those six weeks you will work on an area where we build the cars down on the shop floor. Although tough, this experience is extremely rewarding and interesting and gives you a real hands-on insight into what Toyota Manufacturing is all about. We believe this experience is crucial for your personal development and rather unique to our company.
We place great emphasis on learning by doing - usually through structured, on-the-job training. HV training will be provided as part of the on the job training programme. Our graduate programme is assessed and designed to help you reach the standard needed to move into an engineer position at the end of the 2-year programme.
What we look for
Our engineers are greatly valued and are essential to the success of the business, planning and implementing new equipment, systems, and processes. They're also pivotal in bringing the famous Toyota Production System to life - whether refining a process from a technical perspective or assessing the environmental impact of a production change. Ultimately, we want engineers who are versatile enough to work across the whole plant and beyond.
Alongside having a consistently strong academic record, with a minimum 2:1 predicted degree result*, we are looking for people who actively want to learn from others and are motivated to take on new challenges with a positive mindset. This position is ideal for those who have an interest in technology and innovation to improve efficiency in the long term. We believe that there's always a better way, therefore if you share our values and thrive on analysing problems from different angles to develop solutions, you could go a long way with us. Similarly, taking a practical approach to your work is important – you will need to be as comfortable on the shop floor as you are in the office.
*Electrical Engineering (BEng/MEng required) or Degree modules covering electrical LV or HV with a desire, passion and enthusiasm to develop your own technical skills.
Right to live and work in the UK & ideally UK driving license.