Environmental Science Graduate Swansea 2024
Bath-times, half-times, party-times, meeting-times, and cooking-times. Our water brings Wales to life! It helps 3 million people stay healthy and clean every day. It keeps businesses running smoothly and life flowing along.
We’re different. And proud of it. We’re for everyone, not for profit. We’re people from every walk of life. All with an opportunity to develop and grow amazing careers. All sharing the benefits of bringing our whole self to work.
We’re the engineers and scientists, rangers and customer advisors that keep the taps flowing and keep our customers happy. And we’re thousands of other incredibly diverse roles with National responsibility. All working to the highest standards of satisfaction. In a business where safety and care for every colleague is never compromised.
We’re in every community. And for every community. We’re Welsh Water. The people with the passion to bring futures to life in a business that brings Wales to life!
Discover the difference Welsh Water can bring to your life.
Enough about us lets hear about you
We are seeking interested applicants to have achieved or be expected to achieve a 2:1 in a Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Management or Geography and Environment (combined) – that’s it!.... no prior experience needed.
Key skills / attributes that we’d be looking for from the successful candidate are;
- People management
- Business acumen
- Ability to influence others
- Good knowledge of environmental scienc
Your Graduate scheme
You’ll be joining the Wastewater Assets Team that are responsible for providing evidence, building relationships and developing policy to secure the best outcomes for customers and the environment, now and for future generations.
Your role will include delivering the management of trade effluent to support our business objectives. Trade effluent is a key part of our business which generates millions of pounds in revenue every year.
As a part of your programme, you will take part in a number of soft skills workshops, including the following:
- Presentation Skills
- Effective Team Working
- Personal Branding
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Managing Difficult Conversations
- Project Management
In addition, you will be given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects with your fellow graduates, such as organising, developing and running a conference event for the Institute of Water. This will allow you to develop your interpersonal and leadership skills, whilst working collaboratively with your peers.
You will also be given the opportunity to work on key business projects within your specialised field.
Good to know
Your graduate scheme will primarily be based South-East Wales. However, on occasions and with notice you may be expected to travel to sites across the whole of Wales and its borders.
Upon application, you will receive a short behavioural assessment to complete. This should take 15-20 minutes. Should your application meet our criteria, the second stage of assessment will be an in-person assessment centre, which likely take place at our head office (Cardiff) between February/March 2024. Further information will be provided closer to the time.
What we bring to the table
As well as a market competitive salary, 33 days annual leave (pro rata, including public holidays), we offer a range of employee benefits and rewards including:
- Variable pay schemes
- Enhanced employer pension contributions – Up to 11% employer contributions
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Progression opportunities, including the ability to apply for funded training and coaching and mentoring programmes
- Reduction on high street & online shopping
- Cycle to work scheme/Car-leasing scheme
- Health CashBack scheme
- An employee assistance programme for employees and their immediate family
- Colleague matched fundraising scheme up to the value of £500 per year for your chosen charity
- 20% off all Welsh Water visitor attraction centres and gift shops
- Flexible working patterns
- Several internal employee networks including Embrace, LGBT+, Neurodiverse, Disability, Women of Welsh Water, Parents, Wellbeing and many more...
- We also recruit our own volunteer Wellbeing Champions (on an annual basis) - successful recruits will receive full i-act and StRaW training
Whilst also working for a not-for profit company that truly cares about earning the trust of customers everyday, and about looking after our beautiful environment.