Process Science Graduate Swansea 2024
Bath-times, half-times, party-times, meeting-times, and cooking-times. Our water brings Wales to life! It helps 3 million people stay healthy and clean every day. It keeps businesses running smoothly and life flowing along.
We’re different. And proud of it. We’re for everyone, not for profit. We’re people from every walk of life. All with an opportunity to develop and grow amazing careers. All sharing the benefits of bringing our whole self to work.
We’re the engineers and scientists, rangers and customer advisors that keep the taps flowing and keep our customers happy. And we’re thousands of other incredibly diverse roles with National responsibility. All working to the highest standards of satisfaction. In a business where safety and care for every colleague is never compromised.
We’re in every community. And for every community. We’re Welsh Water. The people with the passion to bring futures to life in a business that brings Wales to life!
Discover the difference Welsh Water can bring to your life.
Enough about us lets hear about you
We are seeking interested applicants who have achieved or are expected to achieve a 2:1 in a Science or Environmental related degree – that’s it!.... no prior experience needed.
Key skills that we’d be looking for from the successful candidate are:
- Good analytical and data interrogation skills and an ability to extract relevant information and present it in a logical and structured manner.
- Problem solving and root cause analysis.
- Good communication skills
- Able to multitask and prioritise workload.
Your Graduate Scheme
You’ll be joining a team that are responsible for getting fresh, clean water to our customers’ taps. We supply 1.4 million homes and businesses with safe, reliable drinking water every day. This involves looking after 91 reservoirs, cleaning 800 million litres of water every day at one of our 65 treatment works and testing 300,000 samples every year to check that our water is of the highest standard. We then pump it through 27,000km of water pipes – that’s long enough to stretch to Australia and back – to reach our customers’ taps.
Your role will include:
- Working closely with operational colleagues to ensure that all regulatory water quality requirements are met.
- Provide scientific expertise and direction necessary to ensure optimum water quality is achieved at the Water Treatment works to out customers’ taps.
- Provide authoritative water quality advice and expertise to the operational team.
As a part of your programme, you will take part in a number of soft skills workshops, including the following:
- Presentation Skills
- Effective Team Working
- Personal Branding
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Managing Difficult Conversations
- Project Management
In addition, you will be given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects with your fellow graduates, such as organising, developing and running a conference event for the Institute of Water. This will allow you to develop your interpersonal and leadership skills, whilst working collaboratively with your peers.
You will also be given the opportunity to work on key business projects within your specialised field.
Good to know
Your graduate scheme will primarily be based South-West Wales. However, on occasions and with notice you may be expected to travel to sites across the whole of Wales and its borders.
Upon application, you will receive a short behavioural assessment to complete. This should take 15-20 minutes. Should your application meet our criteria, the second stage of assessment will be an in-person assessment centre, which likely take place at our head office Cardiff between February/March 2024. Further information will be provided closer to the time.
What we bring to the table
As well as a market competitive salary, 33 days annual leave (pro rata, including public holidays), we offer a range of employee benefits and rewards including:
- Variable pay schemes
- Enhanced employer pension contributions – Up to 11% employer contributions
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Progression opportunities, including the ability to apply for funded training and coaching and mentoring programmes
- Reduction on high street & online shopping
- Cycle to work scheme/Car-leasing scheme
- Health CashBack scheme
- An employee assistance programme for employees and their immediate family
- Colleague matched fundraising scheme up to the value of £500 per year for your chosen charity
- 20% off all Welsh Water visitor attraction centres and gift shops
- Flexible working patterns
- Several internal employee networks including Embrace, LGBT+, Neurodiverse, Disability, Women of Welsh Water, Parents, Wellbeing and many more...
- We also recruit our own volunteer Wellbeing Champions (on an annual basis) - successful recruits will receive full i-act and StRaW training
Whilst also working for a not-for profit company that truly cares about earning the trust of customers everyday, and about looking after our beautiful environment.