External - Product Development Engineer Graduate
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
We are currently recruiting for a Product Development Engineer Graduate to join our R&D Laboratory department based in Atherstone.
Location – Atherstone, Warwickshire
Graduate Programme – Successful candidates will have a fantastic opportunity to join a long established and successful abrasive development laboratory. Having laboratory, manufacturing and customer training facilities on the one site make the lab well positioned to develop the customer relevant products of tomorrow.
Salary - £31,262 starting salary plus excellent benefits package
Key Benefits Include:
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus Bank Holidays.
- Contributory Stakeholder Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance Scheme 4 x salary
- General Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Discount on 3M products
- Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Financial support for further education
To develop and commercialise, new and modified abrasive products as a key component of our Automotive Aftermarkets Division and Abrasives Systems Division European Business growth plans.
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Predicted or achieved a minimum 2:1 degree (an Engineering based degree is preferred)
- 300 UCAS points at A-Level (or equivalent qualification) including at least one STEM subject
- Valid UK driving licence is preferred but not essential.
Knowledge and Skills
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and tenacious team player.
- Creative and Innovative.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Knowledge of materials, chemistry or related discipline.
- Knowledge of experimental design, data handling, interpretation and reporting desirable
- Able to communicate with people of all levels, across functions and externally
- Comfortable both in a team and working independently
- Versatile and agile; comfortable with ambiguity
- Thirst for knowledge and inquisitive nature
- Ability to work under pressure to deadlines
- Plan, execute and complete abrasive product development programmes, of major importance to our European and Global businesses, within agreed timelines.
- Innovatively apply and extend the use of existing and new abrasive technologies.
- Support Commercialisation activity in relation to assigned product development programmes.
- Maintain a flow of significant technical contributions, such as, material / product / process innovations, that lead to both successful patent publications and commercialisation of proprietary products.
- Develop an extensive contact network - technical, manufacturing, engineering, commercial – to facilitate successful and timely commercialisation of product developments.
- Develop an extensive understanding of abrasive related technologies, applications and key market segments to anticipate and recommend significant future new product opportunities.
- Demonstrate good planning and organizational skills.
Training and Development
During this first year on assignment you will have the chance to develop your skills and experience in an industry that is making radical changes to the way products are manufactured. You will take part in the Emerging Talent Training programme as well as having access to over 20 days of specific personal development training alongside graduates from other disciplines within the organisation.
The training programme includes learning about Six Sigma techniques, Engineering skills, Finance for Engineers and an introduction to Chartership. Training sessions are built around the required competencies for a successful Engineer and the projects are also structured to involve the use of different competencies.
3M prides itself on the diverse career opportunities available across the business including our ‘dual ladder’ approach. This could include advancement within the technical group, the managerial group, or moving between; either in the UK or across our global reach.
Working at 3M
Unleash your potential.
Our success depends on the energy of our employees and the high quality of their leadership. Most of all it depends on their continuous improvement.
From sales to manufacturing to marketing to engineering, if you're committed to expanding your knowledge and gaining leading-edge skills, this is the place to do it. Professional development at 3M includes excellent training, continuing educational support, mentorship from smart, experienced people and more. That's one of the many advantages of our diverse business model and global reach.
Move up - or move in new directions.
You'll find a strong promote-from-within culture here; it's an important aspect of our emphasis on learning and professional growth. You may also move between business units or even, potentially, to different locations around the world. That's one of the many advantages of our diverse business model and global reach.
Please note – the closing date for applications is 31st January 2019.
This role will commence in summer 2019.
Having any issues with your application? If so, please email Graduate.IPRecruitment.UK@mmm.com
Apply now for this exciting opportunity with 3M. 3M is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.