Embedded Software Engineering Graduate St Ives 2024
42 Technology is a successful and growing consultancy specialising in innovation, design, and development. Our work with world leading clients in a range of industries takes products and processes from ideas to reality. We have built a reputation for challenging the status quo and finding creative and pragmatic solutions to difficult technical problems.
Our employees love the variety and challenge of our work. We have a stimulating and open culture, an excellent team, and a great location in the historic town of St Ives, close to Cambridge.
To contribute to 42T’s client projects that have software content. The role will suit a graduate most interested in developing their embedded firmware/software development skills whilst also developing their electronics and system design knowledge.
- The core responsibility will be to help deliver high quality consulting engineering services to our clients. To achieve this objective you will work with other project team members, including the project technical lead, to understand customer requirements and define solutions that meet those requirements.
- Development of firmware and software for operating electronic systems or for test systems.
- Contribute to the development of electronic systems which may comprise some or all of: high precision instrumentation, control electronics, power electronics, electromechanical components, communications.
- Analysis of system performance.
- Definition of test schedules and test electronic circuits and systems.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer systems engineering, electrical engineering or similar discipline.
- Experience developing software for electronics systems written in languages such as C, C++. Ideally, experience of developing software for microcontrollers with or without an RTOS or possibly Linux systems.
- Experience of working with version control systems such as Git or Mercurial.
- Post graduate qualification (Master/PHD) in computer science, electronics engineering or similar discipline.
- Experience of designing, implementing, testing and debugging software on embedded controllers as a result of summer placements, internships or as a hobby.
- Experience of any of test driven development, code review, coding standards, linters, issue trackers.
- Ability to read and interpret analogue and digital electronic schematics.
- Competent in using electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic analysers.
- Some knowledge of interfaces such as CAN, RS232, RS485, USB, I2C, SPI.
- Continuous integration/deployment, build systems and compilers, containers (docker).
- Familiarity with UML, for example state, class, sequence or timing diagrams.
Independent Working and Team Working
- Able to work independently with some direction and supervision.
- The ability to participate as part of a creative multi-disciplinary team on a wide range of problems.
Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to explain technical work to colleagues and clients.
- Ability to clearly articulate technical subject matter in a non-technical way.
- A passion for embedded systems and product design.
- Attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills - the ability to engage with colleagues on all levels.
- Innovative mindset.
- Enthusiasm for learning about new technologies and developing knowledge and skills.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Interest in technology generally demonstrated through extra-curricular activities.
- Full UK driving licence.
Please note this position is for 2024 intake. We are flexible on start dates.