Airbus Payload Systems Engineering Placement
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
The Payload System Engineering department within the Telecom Business Division is responsible for providing engineering support to telecom payload projects, to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products. Main customers include SES, Eutelsat and Inmarsat.
In addition to the acquisition of solid knowledge in the domain of space missions and telecom payloads, this role is an opportunity to get involved with the definition of future products within a constantly changing industry.
You will work in a multi-disciplinary department and in close cooperation with our colleagues in other Airbus sites responsible for the overall satellite.
During this placement, the activities you may undertake will include;
- Support the Payload design lifecycle across disciplines including RF, Electrical, EMC, Mechanical and Thermal,
- Support the Payload analysis activities across the lifecycle of the Payload. This can include preliminary design, detailed design, integration and test and in-orbit support.
- Exposure to transverse teams involved in the progression of the Payload lifecycle, these include Assembly and Test, Design Office, Software Factory and Management activities,
- Support the integrated Payload team through performance analysis preparation and presentation development for project and customer gate reviews,
- Experience in attending management level meetings to gain an insight into Airbus Leadership practises,
- Opportunities to present on technical projects to various audiences including Engineers, Specialists and Management
Stretch Assignments may be available:
- Taking ownership of a work package on one of our Payload programs,
- Participation in STEM Outreach activities,
- Plan and execute a theoretical technical programme through a typical engineering lifecycle with fellow Interns,
What you can expect from us
To stay on top, Airbus recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging placement opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our placements give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus and should benefit your future studies.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
Our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement.
Relevant Degree disciplines;
- Telecommunications, Electrical, Electronic engineering, mathematics or physics
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- An interest in working in the space industry,
- Interest in the RF Telecommunications field shown by undertaking one or more of the following modules (or similar);
- RF Systems,
- Communication and Propagation,
- Wireless Communications,
- Satellite Communications,
- Alternatively an interest in RF/space-related projects can be demonstrated by undertaking projects at University or other STEM environments,
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, Matlab, ADS and Python,
Some academic modules that would be a plus;
- Microwave / high frequency RF engineering
- Knowledge of Satellite Communications systems
- Digital signal processing
- An understanding of equipment fitted to the Satellite payload such as receivers, converters, amplifiers, waveguides and antennas
- Engineering life cycles and equipment/system/payload or environmental testing
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.