Landing Gear Technical Engineering Placement Filton 2024
Are you looking for the ideal start to your career with an exciting, global company? Are you passionate about engineering and love understanding how things work? Are you interested in developing solutions for the future environmentally sustainable aircraft? If so, joining Landing gear within the Airbus Internship Programme could be the ideal start to your career.
Landing Gear Engineering is part of the wider Systems Centre of Competence (CoC), providing Airbus Commercial with excellence in Landing Gear definition, integration, industrialisation and in-service support.
A complex area of aerospace engineering, Landing Gear engineering comprises control systems, mechanical systems & structures, integrated into the overall aircraft design for the key functions of take off, landing and taxiing.
A significant proportion of Landing Gear activities are focused on aircraft programmes including A350XWB, A320 family, A330 family and A380 aircraft, but there is also significant focus on Research & Technology (R&T) for future aircraft development, capability/tool development and data science, as a result work activities are varied and interesting.
We are embracing the data revolution, and bringing digital technology and data science to the forefront of what we do in each of our technical disciplines. We collaborate with other business functions to deliver on programmes and maintain technical excellence for Landing Gear topics:
- Landing systems definition and vendor management for new programmes, incremental developments and to support continuous product development;
- Integration, evolution, application and maturity of Landing Gear development processes, through state of the art simulations and data analytics technologies;
- Proactive product support for industrialisation, production and in-service;
- Execution of product, technology and innovation strategies to deliver Landing Gear related Research and Technology (R&T) for future and current Airbus products.
What you will be doing
You will be given the opportunity to work with experienced teams across the Airbus aircraft family, from new development through to in-service aircraft, as well potentially working alongside suppliers, customers and manufacturing assembly.
You are expected to contribute to the creation of optimum solutions for the landing gear product, to own projects where possible and to support on-going activities. You will also join our early careers community who support your professional development and to help integrate into life in the vibrant city of Bristol. As an Airbus Intern in a Landing Gear role, you may find yourself:
- Working in a collaborative team to help build predictive maintenance algorithms which aim to increase both the aircraft availability and reliability using data analytics methods and machine learning methods within our big data platform, Skywise;
- Consulting with experts during the validation and verification of systems design by defining requirements both at system and equipment level prior to the testing phase, which is completed through the use of models, simulations and test rigs;
- Developing relationships with in-service and production teams to investigate and evaluate the stress experienced by a damaged component or providing feedback to the Final Assembly Line, enabling efficiency improvements;
- Building collective knowledge in the team, problem solving, reporting your findings, presenting progress and results to stakeholders, enabling teamwork across functions and sites. We look to tailor the work you will be involved in based on your previous experience, interests and development needs to maximise the value you can add to the business.
Our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement. We are looking for outstanding candidates who want to shape the future of Landing Systems.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate
Studying any relevant Engineering degree (or in combination with another) such as Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems and Mechatronics, as well as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Data Science and Analytics.
Desirable skills and experience
- Computer aided design e.g. CATIA;
- Use of modelling tools such as ADAMS, Matlab Simulink, Fluent;
- Knowledge of data analysis/science theory and tools.
The following attributes are relevant for the position
- Inquisitive mindset with good problem solving skills;
- High level of commitment and proactivity, taking ownership of projects;
- Willing to learn from mistakes and channel feedback into personal development;
- Demonstrating tenacity, resilience and perseverance when faced with adversity;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
The philosophy of the team is to provide a challenging, exciting and rewarding working experience for all of our people. So we welcome you to the team and hope you enjoy the highly diverse and challenging world of Landing Gear.
We encourage you to apply early to avoid missing out on this opportunity! Please note we will close adverts as soon as we receive sufficient applications. Please ensure you include your CV and a cover letter for your application to be considered. Eligibility to gain UK SC Security Clearance OR You will be subject to a BPSS check (including a criminal record check).
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Airbus is, and always has been, committed to equal opportunities for all. As such, we will never ask for any type of monetary exchange in the frame of a recruitment process. Any impersonation of Airbus to do so should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Airbus, we support you to work, connect and collaborate more easily and flexibly. Wherever possible, we foster flexible working arrangements to stimulate innovative thinking.