Lightning Direct Effects Engineering Placement Filton 2024
Are you interested in how Airbus Aircraft are protected against Lightning Direct Effects (LDE) and other Electro-Magnetic Hazards (EMH)? Are you excited when you think about the next generation of electrified and green aircrafts and their system designs?
Do you want to be part of the Airbus design teams creating such systems to develop your technical expertise? Are you keen to work in a multicultural, dynamic, continuous learning environment and is your style of working autonomous, proactive and solution-oriented?
If your answers are YES to all of the above, WE are definitely looking for YOU.
Who we are
The EMH LDE group is a highly specialised and transnational team of engineers working within the Airbus Systems Engineering Design Office.
We are responsible for providing all aspects of aircraft protection against the direct effects of Lightning Strikes and Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) .
We contribute to all phases of development, from R&T and concept, through to product development and certification, and in-service support of the growing fleets, and are also involved in preparing technology for the array of Zero Emissions aircraft to be introduced in the near future.
We operate across all Airbus sites, all Airbus aircraft programmes and all aircraft components (wing, fuselage, empennage). New interns will be fully integrated into a transnational way of working, and encouraged to work with colleagues from other Airbus sites and functions on a daily basis.
What you will be doing
As an Intern in our team:
- You will contribute to our work as a Systems Engineer in the field of EMH Lightning Direct Effects and Electrostatic Discharge within the Airbus Systems Engineering domain.
- You will be involved in a variety of topics like standardisation, electrical architectures, certification and environmental qualification.
- You may design and define commissioning or investigative tests, with the opportunity to interact with the test laboratories and witness LDE and ESD testing, concluding such activities with the delivery of analysis of test results and conclusions.
- You will contribute to development of optimised lightning protection solutions for the design & development of aircraft fuel tank & fuel system protection using latest analytical & test techniques.
- You will contribute to harmonised design solutions and policies that have multi-programme and multi-component benefits at aircraft level.
- You will work closely with the fuel systems and structures departments, as one of our main missions is to provide protection to the fuel system and associated structure.
Our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement. Please inform your graduation date on your application. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Studying towards an engineering or technical degree, ideally electrical, aeronautical, mechanical or physics based - Desirable completed modules include Systems Design and Integration, Power Electronics, Programming (Python, MatLab, C++), Aero Structures, Modelling and Simulation, Electrical Circuits & Systems, Electomagnetics, etc;
- A natural curiosity and excitement to explore engineering principles and creating solutions based on technical intuition and evidence;
- An ability to communicate clearly and concisely - collaboration skills within our team are essential;
- Excellent organisation skills - to plan the use of resources to complete goals and objectives to a high standard;
- A keen interest in the Aerospace industry and profession.
We encourage you to apply early to avoid missing out on this opportunity! Please note we will close adverts as soon as we receive sufficient applications.
Please ensure you include your CV and a cover letter for your application to be considered. Eligibility to gain UK SC Security Clearance OR You will be subject to a BPSS check (including a criminal record check).
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Airbus is, and always has been, committed to equal opportunities for all. As such, we will never ask for any type of monetary exchange in the frame of a recruitment process. Any impersonation of Airbus to do so should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Airbus, we support you to work, connect and collaborate more easily and flexibly. Wherever possible, we foster flexible working arrangements to stimulate innovative thinking.