Project Management Placement Portsmouth 2024
The Airbus Project Management Office (PMO) is a department within the Telecoms Satellite Payload, Space Systems division of Airbus Defence and Space based out of Portsmouth. We work with all our live Telecoms Space programs in ensuring that the programs deliver - On Time, On Cost & On Quality.
An opportunity has arisen to join the organisation on a 12 month Internship within the Project Management Office which is an integral part of ensuring the success of the Telecom Satellite Payload programs in Portsmouth.
The PMO is an extremely synergized & diverse team - composed of members working on Management, Costing, Scheduling, Supply Chain, Procurement & Automation among others. We look to constantly improve the tools, technologies & processes utilised by our space programs, wherein we proactively identify issues and propose solutions to implement in the day to day operations of the company.
What you will be doing
The successful candidate will be assisting in the following areas:
- Working as part of the project management organisation, you will be working within our live projects to help ensure on time, on quality, on cost performance;
- Implement relevant project management tools including Key Performance Indicators and process mapping to foster a continuous improvement mind-set across teams;
- Support the implementation of LEAN methodologies such as (5S, Visual Management - VSM) within Airbus Defence and Space and raise the level of Lean competencies throughout the organisation contributing to increasing performance in the areas;
- You will be expected to support and sometimes lead the implementation of AGILE frameworks, tools and techniques to ensure successful Project outcomes;
- You will apply basic structured problem solving techniques to problems arising in any area of the company, support teams to identify the root cause of the problem and permanently eliminate them.
Our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement. Please inform your graduation date on your application. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Studying towards a degree in Business Management, Project Management or Operations Plan;
- Basic knowledge of Project and Process Management;
- Experience in MS Office;
- Knowledge of Lean methods (5S, Visual Management, VSM) and Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.) beneficial;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Team player;
- Out of the box thinking and ability to challenge the status quo will be appreciated.
We encourage you to apply early to avoid missing out on this opportunity! Please note we will close adverts as soon as we receive sufficient applications.
Please ensure you include your CV and a cover letter for your application to be considered. Eligibility to gain UK SC Security Clearance OR You will be subject to a BPSS check (including a criminal record check).
The perspective of a current intern
“Airbus is a great company to kick-start your career with and I have found this role offers a great scope of opportunity. The skills I am developing are widely applicable to various industry wide project and programme management roles. The Team’s skills matrix has allowed me to set goals and objectives to align myself with what I want to achieve during my internship. It allows me to identify gaps in my knowledge which I would like to fill. The team is very supportive in helping me develop these skills especially via learning by doing as I apply them to new projects.
Being able to choose your own projects means that you can gain an understanding of other parts of the business, for example, I have been getting involved with the Brexit Customs readiness project, which has given me an insight into how a large multinational company deals with customs issues during unprecedented economic times. The variety of available projects means that you will get involved with projects you find interesting and receive additional experience in a range of fields across many business disciplines.”
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Airbus is, and always has been, committed to equal opportunities for all. As such, we will never ask for any type of monetary exchange in the frame of a recruitment process. Any impersonation of Airbus to do so should be reported to email@example.com.
At Airbus, we support you to work, connect and collaborate more easily and flexibly. Wherever possible, we foster flexible working arrangements to stimulate innovative thinking.