Junior Software Engineer 2021
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
If you are in the early stages of your engineering career and you’re looking for an opportunity to work with an enticing of technology, with experienced engineers who have a passion for growing talent, then we have a great opportunity for you.
Global Loyalty & Benefits are undertaking an exciting transformation and we need talented engineers who are willing to learn, collaborate and innovate, adapting to emerging trends and customer demands. You will be part of a growing team working on an innovative new backend platform which is driving our world-class cardmember experiences and enabling experiences of the future.
We are on the lookout for people who have the talent and desire to learn new technologies and be part of the core that is powering our customer experiences.
- Working within an agile team developing solutions to drive engagement and loyalty within our existing cardmember base and attract new customers to the Amex brand
- Expectation to learn golang and after a period, being able to make code contributions in go
- Contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components and documentation)
- Participate in code reviews and automated testing
- Debug basic software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Support and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Automate deployments in test or production environments
- Automatically scale applications based on the demand projections
- Partnering with other development teams, testing and quality, and production support, to meet implementation dates and allow smooth transition throughout the development life-cycle
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Up to 2 years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- University degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field require, or relevant experience
- Understanding of Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Exposure to design and coding across one or more platforms
- Exposure to methods relating to application design, software development, and automated testing
- Understanding of build, release and version control tools such as Jenkins, Git, Gitlab CI
- General knowledge of distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and coding with a preference to backend coding languages such as java, kotlin, C#, python etc
- Understanding of Atlassian software development and collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.),
- Awareness of other tooling such as message brokering (e.g. Kafka,), container orchestration (docker, kubernetes), etc
- Aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Ability to think outside of the box
- Analytical, problem-solving/quantitative skills
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.