Graduate Civil Engineer (Highways - Design Consulting) 2024
Shape tomorrow’s world with Amey.
Amey Consulting is one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies, inspiring change and driving improvements across the UK's critical infrastructure to create a positive impact on society. Our ambition is to leave a legacy of sustainable infrastructure for future generations.
The team and role
Our Consulting Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients on both major design projects and local network improvements.
Our designs include all elements of Highways Infrastructure including: Structures, Highway Design, Drainage, Geotech. We are looking for Graduate Engineers within all these disciplines.
Designing infrastructure projects, with high-profile clients, such as National Highways and Local Authorities our design projects include;
- The UK’s first carbon neutral road improvement project in Cumbria
- Design development of the dualling of the remaining six single carriageway sections of the A66 between the M6 and A1(M), thereby improving journey times, safety, reliability and resilience across the route
- M6 Junction 19 improvements whilst ensuring the UK’s Highways network continues to operate.
- Maintaining and operating some of the UK's most prestigious and complex bridges on behalf of National Highways.
The Graduate Programme
As a Graduate you’ll be given real responsibility from day one, gaining invaluable experience working alongside your team designing some of the most innovative and exciting highways infrastructure across the UK.
Throughout the 2-year programme, you will receive structured learning to enable your professional and personal development. You’ll get hands-on experience while collaborating with some of the best minds in the industry. Yes, you’ll learn from them, but they expect to learn from you too.
You will work alongside the team to
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence.
- Prepare design calculations drawings and documents.
- Carry out site visits, surveys, inspections, and supervise sub-contractors.
- Prepare feasibility studies, inspection, assessment, and technical reports ensuring compliance with Amey procedures.
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and apply this within a team environment.
You’ll be given a ‘buddy’ and a mentor to assist you as you settle into your new role, helping answer any questions you may have, and support you in developing the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed.
On successful completion of this programme, you’ll be offered an Assistant Engineer position within Amey Consulting.
Don’t just take our word for it, Christine Friel, who is one of our current Graduates has this to say:
“My time at Amey has been so rewarding. In my first year I have already worked on interesting and varied projects with Senior Civil Engineers, who have guided me at every step of the way. I have been made to feel welcome by everyone at Amey, and the team environment is always positive and supportive”
What we need from you
- BEng (Hons) Civil/Structural Engineering degree (minimum 2:1) – accredited by the Engineering Council, or similar professional body.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas, and collaborating with colleagues.
- Confidence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively
MEng/MSc Civil/Structural Engineering - accredited by the Engineering Council, or similar professional body.
What we offer you
Join us on Graduate programme and we will invest in you to become the best version of yourself.
- Career Development - we will provide you with a clear career path by tailoring a program that’s unique to you.
- Support Network - you will be partnered with a dedicated buddy and mentor, as well as community of peers who share your level, building a strong network that will support you forward every step of the way.
- Pension - generous pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - minimum 24 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy additional days
- Social Value - you will get two Social Impact Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives. Also, where eligible, participate in the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award
- Choices - our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership.
- Save with Amey - our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers.
- Mental Health Support - we offer a wide range of support including a 24/7 helpline, access to the app 'My Healthy Advantage Plus' and a network of wellbeing ambassadors.
Who is Amey?
We are a leading provider of full life-cycle engineering, operations, and decarbonisation solutions, for transport infrastructure and complex facilities.
Our purpose is to deliver sustainable infrastructure solutions that enhance life and protect our shared future.
We combine exceptional expertise in Consulting & Design, Advisory & Analytics, Transport Infrastructure and Complex Facilities to design, manage, and maintain clients’ assets throughout their lifetime.
Our leading data and analytics capability enable us to create transformative solutions that strengthen resilience and drive sustainable improvements.
We embrace difference and support individuals to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed to working sustainably and by working in partnership with the communities we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview, if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any access needs, reasonable adjustments or additional application support that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
Apply today – We are excited to hear from you!
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date should we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Want to find out more
We are running virtual information sessions throughout September for you ask our current graduates and early careers team any questions that you may have about the graduate programme, Amey's culture, or the projects we are involved in.
Please email email@example.com to register along with the role you are interested in.
- September 2024