Assistant Landscape Architect Summer Intern 2021
At Arup, we design and deliver ground breaking and iconic projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup provides an integrated approach and delivers sustainable solutions to the design of cities and complex urban and rural environments. We are a team of landscape architects, GIS, digital and visualisation experts working on a variety of projects across the world. Our network of landscape teams in the UK includes London, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Newcastle and Solihull, with overseas teams in New York, Brisbane, Sydney, Hong Kong and Shanghai. We are differentiated from our competitors by our ability to combine skills to solve particularly complex or unusual problems and help our clients to create an integrated vision with a full commitment to develop successful and sustainable places.
With a well-established landscape architecture business, we offer our clients a full range of services including, but not limited to, the following
- Concept design through to detailed design and construction
- Visualisations/3D Modelling
- Design guidelines and best practice
- Feasibility studies and area strategies
- Strategic planning, assessment and policy review
Our landscape architecture teams work side by side with a wide range of Arup's other specialist disciplines, including urban design, architecture, ecology, town planning, sustainability experts, engineering, cost consulting and project management.
Are you interested in a career in Landscape Architecture?
We're currently looking for a Summer Placement candidate to join our award-winning landscape architecture teams for 6-8 weeks starting in June or July 2021. This is an opportunity for you to work alongside an unrivalled community of experts, on active projects while gaining practical experience of working in a multi-disciplinary consultancy. In return, you'll help us deliver effective and professional services in one or more of a wide range of sectors for varied and high-profile clients.
During your summer placement with us your typical day to day responsibilities could include
- Assisting design work
- Assisting in the preparation of detailed construction drawings
- Assisting in the preparation of masterplan graphics
- Assisting in the preparation of clear and concise reports
- Attending team meetings
- Attending project reviews and workshops
- Site Surveys
- Planning your workload so that you can deliver on time or ahead of target
We're looking for people with a passion for design, curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the landscape architecture industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you. We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills
- Currently studying or already graduated in 2020 / 2021 with a Bachelor's or Master's degree with a prediction or having already achieved a of 2:1 or higher (or equivalent) in landscape architecture/design/planning/management/restoration, architecture, geography, horticulture, garden design, urban design, environmental science or environmental conservation.
- We would also welcome applications from those about to start a Post Graduate Diploma qualification in Landscape Architecture or Landscape Management.
- Ability to share ideas through sketching and hand drawing
- Ability to think creatively and show initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Working knowledge of (or willingness to learn about); AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchup (or other 3D modelling software) and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to understand and respond to the needs of a project brief
- Strong team working skills
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Please ensure you upload your portfolio as part of the ‘supporting documents' section of your application form.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.