Graduate Project Manager - Infrastructure 2022
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, architects, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today's built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world.
Overview of role
Our Advisory & Project Management work supports our ethos of ‘shaping a better world' and tackling today's major issues including climate change, sustainability and social equality. We face the challenge that infrastructure assets are becoming increasingly complex as the customer users' needs change, technology advances and legacy assets require complex upgrades and maintenance.
Against this context Advisory may be described as a collection of high value professional services (including Project Management) to help service the complex needs of our clients and develop innovative solutions to their challenges. Due to our global reach we work across many market sectors including energy, highways, rail and water.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
We are looking for Graduates to join our team of bright professionals based in our Whitehaven office. You'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification, whilst maintaining control and drive of their own career.
You will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, which will involve working in high performing teams and delivering client facing tasks. As you progress in your role at Arup, we envisage you will develop your skills and progress in the levels of responsibility and stimulating projects you are involved with.
Our Whitehaven office covers the spectrum of Advisory & Project Management. You will have the opportunity to be involved in all stages of the project life cycle from advising on the concept definition and business case development, concept design, design coordination, tender management, contract administration through to delivery, handover and benefits realisation. We are currently delivering a wide range of projects from a £250 million electrical upgrade to smaller, discrete design and build tasks which progress at a dynamic pace. These projects are at all stages of the life cycle, from programme planning to construction and commissioning.
In addition to your client project work, you will have the opportunity to get involved in a number of business improvement initiatives, and to take part in a wide range of formal and informal learning sessions, which will support your professional development and help in shaping your career. You will also have the opportunity to work alongside client and contractor teams in an alliance environment, thereby gaining knowledge of project delivery from all perspectives.
Typical responsibilities could include
- Source, review, research, collate, report, present and analyse information from a variety of sources (including data analytics)
- Develop client solutions on a project by project basis
- Manage project information flow
- Develop project execution strategies
- Project monitoring and progress reporting, including creating reporting dashboards
- Support the development of project gateway reports and other governance reviews
- Prepare KPI or project benchmarking information
- Support the development of procurement strategies
- Support the management of contracts
- Assist in preparing for Client presentation and governance meetings
What we are looking for
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a subject such as Engineering, Architecture, Business, Geography, Psychology, Construction Management or Project Management
- Masters degree in an APM accredited Project Management course is advantageous
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word
- Knowledge of Microsoft Project and/or Primavera P6 software is an advantage
- Understanding of data management, visualisations and / or digital tools would be desirable Planned and organised approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Creative approach to problem solving
You must be available to start this opportunity in September 2022.
What we offer you
Beyond a great salary and stimulating, technically challenging work, Arup offers a range of additional benefits to its people.
As a membership organisation, everyone shares in our success through a global profit share scheme. Our people also have access to a range of broader wellbeing benefits.
You'll have access to lots of learning opportunities including a structured induction and ongoing training through Arup university.
Additionally, you'll have the opportunity to utilise your technical expertise to improve the lives of the most vulnerable in the communities in which we live and work through Arup's community engagement programme.