Lighting Designer - Industrial Placement - Consulting 2021
Arup is a multi–disciplinary firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today's built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world.
We provide leading lighting design, engineering and consulting services throughout the world on major infrastructure schemes and internationally acclaimed buildings, in collaboration with leading architects, artists, engineers and planners.
Arup's commitment to sustainability drives a creative approach with the application of state-of-the art technology. We work in harmony with aesthetics and vision, delivering lighting designs that help our clients save energy and create sustainable buildings.
From harnessing and controlling daylight to creating drama and delight with electric light, our lighting design work can be characterised as engaged and involved, with a strong emphasis on creativity combined with the technical excellence for which Arup is famous.
About the role
We're looking for an Industrial trainee to join our team of bright professionals in our London office to assist on all aspects of lighting projects, from concept development to detailed lighting specifications, as well as assisting with the development of new digital tools. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have some responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Working mainly with our senior designers, and supporting other team members, this is an excellent opportunity to learn about lighting design, develop skills and subsequently work on your own projects.
You will work alongside experts in architectural and daylighting design on a wide range of national and international projects.
The role involves
- Hands on lighting design for a range of projects
- Providing lighting calculations, visualisation and analysis
- Preparation of renderings, drawings, and specification
- Assisting the production of project related correspondence and reports
- Project and team administration duties
- Co-ordinating work with designers and engineers of other disciplines.
- Attend design team meetings and present design outcome
We're looking for students with a passion for lighting, curiosity, personal drive, design flair and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of architectural lighting design and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Currently studying a recognised degree or diploma in lighting, architecture, engineering, product design or interior design or any other appropriate subject
- An A level (or equivalent) in Maths is desirable but not a pre-requisite
- A 2.1 or above in relevant modules such as architecture, art, design, maths, science, engineering and technology related subjects are advantageous
- Familiarity with 3D modelling software
- Some knowledge of lighting software would be advantageous, including daylight analysis software
- Skills in drawing/sketching and/or abilities in presentation tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Digital skills, including data collection, analysis, interpretation and visualisation and/or some knowledge of programming languages such as Python and C#.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our selection process.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa Sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.