Graduate Process Engineer 2021
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. Every single day, we make a difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people globally and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease. Our purpose is ambitious and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and creative company means building a dynamic, inspiring culture where we celebrate diverse, bold thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working.
In PT&D, we believe that nothing is impossible. We combine people’s technical knowledge and understanding, with their talent and drive to design, develop and optimise synthetic routes to deliver the active pharmaceutical ingredients and formulate these into the drug products to deliver medicines to our patients in a sustainable, commercially viable way. We believe in innovation and continuous improvement, working closely with colleagues in academia and across industry, to ensure that we apply the newest technologies and principles in the processes we develop.
As a Process Engineer you will work closely in cross-functional teams to develop, optimise and scale-up processes to deliver robust and sustainable drug substance and drug product manufacture.
- Provide engineering expertise to the development and optimisation of chemical or formulation processes, to achieve robust and sustainable processes for delivery medicines to patients. This includes laboratory experimentation, modelling and simulation and assessment of the results obtained
- Carry out scale-up manufacturability assessments of processes to ensure right first-time scale-up, technical transfer and future viability
- Work closely with our Contract Manufacturing Organisations (CMOs) across the globe, providing engineering input into process development and the accommodation of processes into manufacturing facilities
- Drive learning from manufacturing and deliver process improvements which can be implemented in future manufactures
- Solve problems arising during the manufacture or process development
- Champion and drive sustainability of processes with respect to environmental sustainability, efficiency and cost
- Work with our colleagues in Supply Chain, to provide engineering input in technical discussions with our suppliers
- Develop external contacts (industrial and academic) to bring learning and alternative process engineering science into AstraZeneca
- Apply technical knowledge to improvement projects and evaluate new technologies / processes, ensuring Best Available Technology (BAT) is assessed and implemented
- A PhD or 2:1 MEng degree or higher in Chemical Engineering
- A well-developed understanding of unit operations such as mixing, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction, isolation and drying and their dependency on scale and equipment
- A broad knowledge of process equipment and technology
- A rational approach to problem solving, and an ability to make judgements based on sound reasoning
- Strong collaborative and communication skills
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience working in the Pharmaceutical or Fine Chemicals Industry
- Experience of chemical or formulation process development, scale up and / or technical transfer
- Experience of working across skillsets (e.g. chemists, analysts, formulators, statisticians)
- Ability to use modelling software (e.g. Aspen, DynoChem, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Matlab, gProms) to support process understanding
What can you expect from us
This role will introduce you to process engineering science and its industrial applications, and will give you the opportunity to work within Process Engineering teams and alongside other skillsets. You will be involved in a variety of challenging and exciting projects. You will experience laboratory experimentation and pilot scale manufacture; use modelling and prediction, to design and optimise chemical or formulation processes, technology development, and technical knowledge transfer to commercial manufacture. In addition, you can expect;
- A comprehensive training programme tailored to your individual needs, supporting your development of technical and leadership skills
- The potential for opportunities to broaden your experience across R&D and Supply Chain
- A competitive salary and benefits and a mentor to support you towards IChemE chartership
Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. Interested? Come and join our journey!