Graduate Sports Statistician/Mathematical Modeller 2024
We are seeking highly motivated individuals to join our research team. Successful candidates will work within new and established multi-skilled teams to develop novel statistical and mathematical models with applications to sports analytics, including probabilistic forecasting of future events.
As you'll be working with sports data, an interest in this field is beneficial, however you don't have to be a football fanatic or a cricket specialist to join our team. There's so much more to us than sport, as a company we're passionate about social responsibility, sustainability and employee wellbeing.
Start date in September 2024.
- Passionate about problem solving
- Graduate or final year undergraduate, who has, or is expecting to achieve a 2:1 or first class degree classification in one of the following subjects:
- Data Science
- Or a closely related highly numerate degree, please specify in your application.
- Able to quickly learn and apply new mathematical and computational techniques.
- Previous experience in programming / computational mathematics (e.g. R, Python, MATLAB).
- A masters-level qualification in mathematics, statistics, physics, or a closely related subject. (Individuals with a PhD-level qualification should apply for our “Research Statistician” role instead.)
Benefits of working with us
At heart, the ATASS Sports philosophy is that our employees should enjoy an excellent work/life balance and an exemplary working environment designed to meet their needs.
We work using a hybrid model, therefore enabling you to benefit from the great facilities that our office at Oxygen House has to offer (free plant-based meals, unlimited drinks, gym, activities and sports classes, social and charity events... and more), while offering you the flexibility of working from home.
On top of this you will have the opportunity to participate in our broad and extensive range of company benefits, these include:
- Family and Finance Benefits - Enhanced parental leave, Contributory pension (matched up to 5%), Group life assurance, Employee assistance programme.
- Heath Benefits - Private medical insurance, Private dental insurance, Virtual GP, Eyecare vouchers, Flu Vaccinations.
- Green Benefits - Green travel incentive, Cycle to work scheme
- Annual Leave - 25 days’, rising to 30 days’ after 5 years’ service. Plus 5 additional flex days.
Our story began in 1998 when Mark Dixon, a university statistics lecturer, decided to set up a one-man-band consultancy, offering statistical modelling and research services.
Featuring near the top of a Yellow Pages listing was a priority at the time and led to Mark opting for 'Advanced Training and Statistical Services,' or ATASS for short. Increasingly, his love of football led him to take on more and more sports-related work, and, by 2001, he and a handful of colleagues were working under the new identity of ATASS Sports.
Today we are one of the largest commercial statistical research teams in Europe and a leader in the field of the application of statistical modelling in sports. We have created and continue to develop a collection of statistical and mathematical models that allow sporting outcomes to be predicted with unparalleled accuracy.
Our recruitment process
If you’re interested in this position then please click ‘apply for this job’, which will direct you to our application page.
- Closing date for applications - 12th Jan 2024 at 09:00, however early application is advised to allow more time to complete our online test. You will be put through to online test if you meet the basic requirements.
- Completion of online test - 26th Jan 2024 at 09:00. We'll use a combination of your online test results, application and CV to shortlist for our assessment day. An additional recruitment call stage may be added if we receive a high number of applicants.
ATASS Sports is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. ATASS Sports does not hold a licence to sponsor visas. Therefore, any job offers subsequently made would be conditional on the employee:
- Having the right to work in the UK or
- Obtaining and maintaining appropriate immigration status
We look forward to hearing from you!