Air Modelling & Simulation Engineers Placement Filton 2021
BAE Systems Air Sector operates across the globe, in multiple markets to support customers wherever, whenever and whatever their challenges may be. We operate in multiple markets to support our customers – from design, development and production, through to provision of aircraft, training, support and maintenance. To achieve this, we collaborate with partners large and small, from within and beyond the defence sector, and from the UK and around the world. Air Sector Engineering is split into a number of different engineering disciplines.
This engineering role is for the Modelling & Simulation discipline which is one of the more specialist areas. Modelling & Simulation has applications throughout the engineering lifecycle, from prototyping and evaluating early design concepts through to developing complex networked simulations to support front-line training activities. It also covers the entire BAE Systems product range spanning air, sea and land domains, although this role has a particular focus on air platforms within the Air Sector business.
Although in the Modelling and Simulation discipline, this role contributes to software code development in support of the Aerodynamics and Electromagnetics engineering disciplines. It involves software development in the areas of Electromagnetics, Computational Fluid Dynamics as well as assessing the benefits to BAE Systems of emerging computing technology such as Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence.
What will you be doing
On an undergraduate placement an individual would be expected to be involved in a number of areas related to the Modelling & Simulation discipline, to develop a broad understanding of air platforms, the engineering lifecycle and the role the discipline plays to underpin the design, development, test, maintenance and support of BAE Systems products. Typical tasks could be: development of new functionality in existing Computational Fluid Dynamics or Electromagnetics software toolsets; validation and documentation of toolsets; developing new prototype VR or AI based demonstrators for improving product usability or improving product design
What are we looking for
- Predicted 2:2 degree studying Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Maths, Computer Science, Game Development (including Augmented and Virtual Reality), Computer Graphics (Warton based roles) or other STEM subjects with modelling and simulation related modules.
- Programming aptitude in C/C++.
- Familiarity with object orientated techniques, parallel programming Fortran, CUDA or GUI development would be advantageous.
- Software and Simulation experience is always highly desirable.
- Problem solving skills.
- Passion and enthusiasm to develop as an individual and a professional.
- Effective communication skills, and the ability to work well in a diverse team, possibly at different sites.
- An ability to network and form effective relationships with customers, both internal and external.