PhD Data Scientist Commodities Investment Teams Winter Internship London 2024
Balyasny Asset Management L.P. (BAM) is a global institutional investment firm. We strive to deliver consistent, uncorrelated, absolute returns in all market environments by fostering a culture of research, innovation, and collaboration.
BAM exists at the intersection of finance and technology, combining the deep industry knowledge of leading portfolio managers and financial analysts with software engineers and quantitative researchers. We leverage the collective expertise of our teams to seek out new investment opportunities, analyze market conditions, minimize risk, and provide superior service to our investment partners.
With 1,800+ people in offices around the world, we embrace a culture that welcomes the free flow of ideas, promotes career development, and supports the health and wellbeing of our people through world-class benefits.
Balyasny Asset Management is looking for an exceptional PhD Data Scientist intern to join BAM for 6-9 months, to work on a Commodities Portfolio Management team on projects related to data gathering, data analysis, and data-driven idea generation. This is an excellent opportunity to work on cutting-edge research at a leading hedge fund, offering hands-on experience at the intersection of commodities trading and data science.
- Collaborate directly with Portfolio Manager and team to brainstorm creative uses for data in the investment process
- Conduct independent project-oriented quantitative research using a variety of datasets
- Conduct forecast or model error analysis, and provide findings to improve forecast/model accuracy
- Identify, ingest, and analyze new datasets to test improvement/enhancement capabilities for existing models and infrastructure
Qualifications & requirements
- Availability to intern for 6 – 12 Months
- PhD degree in Reinforcement Learning, Simulations, Synthetic Data or Machine Learning
- Research focused on simulation, reinforcement learning or adversarial deep learning
- Prior publications and evidence of application/previous work experience preferred
- Strong analytical and data processing skills (Python/SQL), and knowledge of version control (Git)
- Knowledge of common statistical modelling methods and algorithms
- Self-starter, results-driven attitude with a great desire to learn and ability to multitask
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, outstanding attention to detail and strong organization skills
Bam employee and intern perks
- Centrally located London Office, in St James’
- Daily access to BAM kitchen stocked with various, snacks, teas & coffees, soft drinks, etc.
- Daily lunch delivery services provided by BAM
- First-class fitness facility with showers and changing room facilities
- Collaborative meeting spaces in the BAM office
- Regular social events