Junior Money Market Portfolio Manager 2021
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
Business Unit Overview
The International Cash Management Group manages a suite of products that includes Prime and Government Money Market and Ultra-Short Duration Mutual funds and Separate Accounts. BlackRock’s cash management style is designed to meet each client’s objectives of capital preservation, liquidity and yield – in that order. This philosophy is built on a risk-controlled framework, featuring careful analysis of credit, interest rate trends, and relative value opportunities which ultimately produce investment returns on a risk adjusted basis. Our disciplined approach to investing originated in 1973 when we pioneered the first constant-dollar money market fund dedicated to institutional investors.
This role sits within the International Cash Portfolio Management Team and is primarily a junior portfolio management / trader role based in London. The successful candidate will spend a large part of the day as a dealer supporting the international cash investment process by investing in money market instruments (Time Deposits, Reverse Repo, Euro Commercial Paper, Certificates of Deposit, short Government bonds and Bills, Supranationals and any other suitable instruments). The person will also play a major role in collating data and using technology to help improve desk processes and analysis of portfolios and positions.
A natural curiosity and drive will help the successful candidate establish themselves within a busy and proactive team, helping research markets, regulation, credit and ESG.
- To execute daily trading of money market instruments in support of the Lead Portfolio Managers with a focus on Repo and Time Deposits
- To understand and contribute to the strategy and construction of EUR, GBP and USD money market Funds as well as separate account portfolios
- To produce analytics and portfolio level data for strategy meetings, with a focus on ESG
- To build and maintain strong professional relationships with external trading counterparties (brokers and dealer banks) and other parts of the broader ecosystem (rating agencies, etc.)
- To build strong partnerships with internal stakeholders such as credit, product strategy, risk, operations, pricing, legal & compliance, and contribute to our diverse and inclusive work environment
- Ideally 1-2 years of work experience and transferrable skills to benefit a role in trading and portfolio management
- An enthusiastic attitude with a willingness to learn
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Foundational knowledge of financial markets and understanding of credit and risk management
- An interest in developing research, quantitative or analytical skills, particularly using data systems
- An interest in developing presentation and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills to help foster an inclusive culture of teamwork and knowledge sharing
- Knowledge of Aladdin a plus
This is role is within the scope of the Senior Manager and Certification Regime(SMCR).
Key Regulatory Obligations
The successful candidate will be subject to both the Individual Conduct Rules and the Fitness and Propriety Rules of the FCA. As long as they remain a Certified Person it is their responsibility to continue to meet the required standards of fitness and propriety for their role.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law. BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.