Digital Software Engineer Placement (BMW UK, Financial Services) Farnborough July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where you, our placement student, can learn and develop during your time with us and where you are given your own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one; encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and to give you the opportunity to show what you can really do.
Our Summit ONE in Farnborough is home to the National Sales Company for the BMW Group in the UK, as well as BMW Group Financial Services which offers retailers, corporate and private customers a range of customised financial services. Alphabet (GB) Ltd. as a leading provider of Business Mobility Services is also located in Farnborough. We decided in November 2020 to bring together BMW Financial Services and Alphabet to stay relevant to our customers and continue to succeed in a rapidly changing business environment.
Within our self-contained campus, we offer a modern way of working with an empowering office culture, some aspects of which include:
- Our work persona shift – being yourself is effortless and so increases efficiency. For this reason we allow our employees to express themselves through the way they dress.
- Flexible working hours - working flexibly improves mental perspective and increases sustained productivity. This means our leaders maintain balance, not burnout, through focusing on output, not attendance.
- The opportunity to get involved with our continued support to our house charity with a variety of fundraising events throughout the year.
- Throughout our offices there are open creative spaces which hold facilities such as table-tennis tables to encourage innovation and employee engagement.
The BMW Financial Services Digital team are focused on developing systems and solutions for our customers to help them buy a car or motorbike online with finance easily. With Agile at our heart we work as a project team to build services as MVP to later continuously improve and enhance them. The department prides itself on being business focused but with technical knowledge and experience.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for a student to join our Digital team for 13 months starting July 2024. Below are some of the activities that you will be involved in:
- Work closely and liaise with feature teams and 3rd party software providers as well as Central (Munich) teams, NSC, IT and other Financial Services departments to development, implement and integrate Digital projects.
- Become a key member of the Digital team, offering suggestions and recommendations for new initiatives and projects.
- Support your team in a variety of ways including: Testing systems alongside Test Manager, help document technical requirements, and support Manager with communication strategy of new systems.
- Work with Agile in mind, with the ability to change direction, keep up and work on different projects depending on the business strategy.
- Report, visualise and analyse any data sets and identify key learnings, trends. Showcase results and reports to other areas of the business including managers. Make suggestions and recommendations off the back of any analysis.
- Understand a range of data sets and how they work and integrate with one another. Interrogate data to find issues/anomalies.
- Learn the system architectures to identify future integration pieces and spot potential problems before they happen.
- Take responsibility for ad-hoc projects assigned to you, including exploration, implementation and reporting.
- Work with applications and technical data sources including databases, API’s and JAVA development.
- Must be working towards a BSc Computer Science degree or similar, and predicted to graduate with a 2:2.
- Confident user of SQL, Java and API’s (application programming interfaces).
- Able to demonstrate an interest/experience with coding or programming, although this is not a pure coding role.
- An innovative and entrepreneurial mind-set with the ability to problem solve and find solutions.
- Strong commercial acumen and able to build relationships.
- Able to demonstrate keen interest in data, numbers and new technologies.
- Qualification in Business either at A-Level or part of degree preferred.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay - A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract), and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance - Our team works 2-3 days a week in the office and 37.5 hours over 5 days to help you develop a fulfilling work-life balance
- Exciting Additional Benefits - You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits including access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include; online testing, a one-way video interview, and then a face to face, telephone, or virtual interview with the hiring manager.
We operate rolling recruitment. This means we may close the application window earlier than identified if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed. Please also include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies for a minimum of 6 months after completion of this placement and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com